Anyone here start as a DA or RDH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mintyleif

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here start out as a dental assistant or dental hygienist before becoming a dentist?

I'm considering doing either of those before focusing on getting into dental school, that way I'll have experience in the dental field and know for sure if I like it or not. Also, I feel like it might help with admissions, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Great question!

I graduated from USC Dental School in 2013 but was a DA for 2 years before dental school while in undergrad. I can promise you that being a DA makes dental school much easier. 2 years of observing a dentist first hand can really help with patient management. Plus, as a DA, you know all the steps to doing restorations so when learning the details in school you have an idea of whats coming up.

In my cas my admissions packet was very very poor when looking at DAT and GPA. My GPA was around 3.0-3.1 and my DAT AA was 19, so overall not a great looking candidate, but I know it was my DA experience that allowed me to get into dental school the first year I applied.

The only difficuly I found was that I often diagreed with the faculty as they are teaching from an academic perspective which is almost worthless in a real world situation.

Hope that helps.

Very good idea, if you feel that you are not ready to start dental school. It give you a lot of experience. The best opcion is to start working like DA in a residency program. You will see everything there, working with the residents as DA.. good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great question!

I graduated from USC Dental School in 2013 but was a DA for 2 years before dental school while in undergrad. I can promise you that being a DA makes dental school much easier. 2 years of observing a dentist first hand can really help with patient management. Plus, as a DA, you know all the steps to doing restorations so when learning the details in school you have an idea of whats coming up.

In my cas my admissions packet was very very poor when looking at DAT and GPA. My GPA was around 3.0-3.1 and my DAT AA was 19, so overall not a great looking candidate, but I know it was my DA experience that allowed me to get into dental school the first year I applied.

The only difficuly I found was that I often diagreed with the faculty as they are teaching from an academic perspective which is almost worthless in a real world situation.

Hope that helps.

Hi do you think being a DA raised your chance of getting accepted?

And in your personal statement did you write that you were a dental assistant?

In toothfixeralex's reply: didn't he/she say explicitly that it did help.... why are you asking again?

I feel that the more difficult part is getting in to dental school; don't worry about it "helping you do well in dental school." Passing, once accepted into dental school, is much easier than getting in to dental school.

If you want to get a better feel for if you like dentistry, shadow. Then volunteer if you can. Depending on where you live, perhaps you could land an assisting gig. It can't hurt (unless it affects your academics or leaves you with a know-it-all attitude for school). But what's going to help with admissions are grades and GPA. Those will always carry more weight than anything. I don't dismiss the knowledge or experience assisting can offer. I did some too. But those in my class who had done some through volunteering or years of work, it's not that big of a deal. I'd avoid going the hygiene route. That's kind of a whole different career.

If you want to be a dentist just go for it!! Don't waste your time and money becoming DA or RDH. I have done both profession and trust me once you start working and making $$ is very difficult to continue with education!! I will say just become a dental assistant or hygienist if you dont make it to dental school or dont want to spends many years studying!! Btw if you have to.choose between dental assistant or hygienist ( pick hygiene school = very good $$)..good luck

Sorry that I missed your post, thanks for the bump.

I did mention it in my statement. Something like, "As a dental assistant one of my favorite experiences was when we replaced broken crowns on a patients front teeth. When she initially came in she would barely open her mouth because she was embarrassed about her teeth. After treatment she started crying and couldn't believe she could finally smile again...yadda yadda yadda".

I will say that if you don't get accepted and you don't want to do a masters or more education, then get a job as an assistant and apply again. It'll show your dedication to the field and your experience will help.

Hi,

Before being accepted into dental school I worked in both a dental laboratory and dental office as a dental assistant. I did this while I was in college preparing for dental school. Not only was this a great experience but it let me know whether dentistry was the profession I wanted to pursue. I hope this helps and good luck! http://DiscoverDentists.com