Anyone interview at Denver??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJasper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying next year, and Denver is my #1. I am not from Colorado per se and attend an east coast med school, although I attended college in colorado, and my family lives in Denver. So, I really want to return!
However, I got really disappointed when my school's anesthesiology PD informed me that colorado (and west coast in general) really want their own. He mentioned that there exists this sort-of division between the east and west coast. So, I ask: has anyone experienced this?

And, for those that have recently interviewed, or are presently residents at Denver, I would really appreciate some input into how competitive the program really is. You can also PM me!!!! Please!!!

HAPPY :luck: DAY!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went there, as did many of my classmates from a midwest school. So they do go east of the Mississippi.

sign up for a rotation there and let them know your family is there and you really want to return.... i didn't apply there but i have heard their step one cutoff is 230 but this is from another student so i am not sure how reliable that is.

(i heard that was the cut-off for an interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied there for a rotation..just waiting to hear back. :oops:

Does a cut-off score mean that you will get an interview, or you are competitive for the program, if you exceed it?

I went to med school at U of Colorado and am currently doing Anesthesiology residency at Wash U in St Louis but I can give you some info if you want IM me.

It is true they tend to grant to less interviews to east coasters in general because they found they never came anyway, in their words. But if you have a compelling reason like family etc Dr Hawkins said they always took that into consideration. Its a solid program but after doing med school there and collegfe in Fort Collins I was ready for something else. But its not bad and Denver IMHO is one of the best cities in the US. I will be heading back to CO when all is said and done.

Mario

I'm from the midwest, I applied and was denied. I was on the interview trail and met some girl who said she too was denied but she called them up and they said we saw no reason why you would want to come to CO. She explained she loved CO and really wanted to go out there and was then granted an interview.

I think CO is even more selective than CA, I had no problem getting interviews out there and at east coast places as well. It seems CO really wants their own

I did residency there after med school in Oklahoma - originally from Denver, undergrad at CSU, and family still lives in Denver. Solid program - have been able to easily handle anything thrown at me in 14 years PP. Dr. Hawkins is a sweetie! By all means, really hype that you have family there.

I interviewed at Colorado this year- in talking w/ current residents, there is no step 1 cut-off of 230. There may be a cut-off of 200, but I'm not sure about this. All CO students will be interviewed (regardless of step 1 score). There is, however, a strict application deadline set at Oct. 1st and you'll automatically get rejected if you submit your ERAS after that. It doesn't have to be complete- you can still have LORs and your dean's letter (obviously) pending, but get your application in early!

As for the west coast preference, Dr. Henthorn (dept chair) specifically told us at the interview that they do not interview applicants east of the Mississipi unless they specify in their personal statement a reason for wanting to come to CO. Call it lazy, or whatever you want, but he flat out stated this, and it was backed up by Dr. Hawkins (PD). You don't have to write a separate PS, but include a paragraph at the end where you specifically mention CO. It can be for family reasons, geographic preference- whatever, but make sure it's there. If you are rejected for an interview for whatever reason and you really want to go there, call or email Dr. Hawkins. She's very nice and will supposedly reconsider your application if you express an interest.

As for preference for taking their own, CO usually tries to rank their students so that there will be a maximum of 6 that will match there- usually ends up being around 4-5. They like their own, but don't want to become too inbred.

Hope that helps somewhat. PM me w/ questions.

Nice selection criteria-maybe east coast programs should do the same for anyone west of lake michigan

they do not interview applicants east of the Mississipi unless they specify in their personal statement a reason for wanting to come to CO..

This has been repeated so much on this board concerning Colorado. I am beginning to think it is a broken record. Doesn't anyone besides Krafty read other people's posts?

broken_record.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input..I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it is truly helpful to hear some solid input from those just off the interview trail. Sometimes it is difficult to sort out some much conflicting information.
So, I appreciate any information I can gather..so keep it coming ;)

Nice selection criteria-maybe east coast programs should do the same for anyone west of lake michigan

It's probably based on experience. They likely interviewed some great applicants from the east coast over some great applicants from the west, and have found that they couldn't get them to Denver. Makes sense to offer your interview positions to those who would actually come.

If I've got 100 great applicants for 50 interview spots,I want to interview the 50 that are going to rank me highest rather than 50 that are going to put me at the bottom of their list.

Don't think that east coast programs don't do this. It happens in residency and it will happen in the job search. I live in the west and used to live on the east coast. I applied for a few east coast jobs and actually got a phone call from one guy who said, "Why are you applying for a job in the east?" In my cover letter, I hadn't explained that I had lived on the east coast and was interested in going back. Once I explained that to him, he was more interested.