Anyone Involved with Interesting Research as a Predent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISU_Steve

Cranky old man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been involved with any interesting research as a predental student? I was talking to someone about the research I have been involved with (because of my background as a respiratory therapist I've been involved previously with research on prevention of ventilator associated pneumonias) and also with the research here at the university concerning electromagnetic fields and lymphocytes that I will be working on starting later this summer.

Is anyone else assisting a professor with research? What are you working on? Do you enjoy it or hate it?

Members don't see this ad.

thats pretty interesting research!!

mmm about my work..... i do research at my university's dental school.

i do neuroelectrophysiological research on rat hippocampus (part of the brain). we look at how chronic alcohol administration changes the modulations of cannabinoid receptors (CB1Rs) in the hippocampus.

Its pretty cool you actually have natural cannabinoids and receptors that your brain and nervous system make.

wow! both of your research sounds really interesting! :)

i did some work with a post doc and we were trying to induce chondrogenic differentiation from human bone marrow stroma cells. we've done a load of work on the project and we wound up growing some cells into cartilage-like tissues. it was really interesting and it got presented at a dental convetion and should be getting pubilshed next year. :oops:

I'm doing non-dental related research on neural progenitors (like adult stem cells) in the rat hippocampus. We're looking at cell fate and proliferation after injury and subsequent environmental enrichment (big cages with lots of toys!), and are preparing our manuscript for publication right now. It's been a great experience, but I can't wait to work with people rather than rat brains!