Anyone Know why many med schools have taken such a long time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parasiterex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've talked with several people that should know (pre-med advisors etc) and they seem to have the general impression that schools took longer this year to give a response to applicants. Is that true? Does ayone have any idea if there where more applicants this year or something?
PS- Since I'm in with UW it's not that important, I'm just curious since NYMC, Tufts, Temple, and Drexel had no trouble cashing my checks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why it would take longer this year than others, but I think schools like to wait a long time for some of the same reasons multiple acceptees like to hang on to acceptances. The idea is that you keep as many of your options open as you can until the bitter end. That way, they can interview as many people as they want and they can fine-tune the class size to whatever they want. I've been waiting seven months to hear from Albany Medical College. I called the other day and asked what the deal is and they told me that they just have a big pool of applicants that they are still shuffling around and interviewing. They'll continue interviewing until May. It blows for us, but I really can't blame them.

parasiterex said:
I've talked with several people that should know (pre-med advisors etc) and they seem to have the general impression that schools took longer this year to give a response to applicants. Is that true? Does ayone have any idea if there where more applicants this year or something?
PS- Since I'm in with UW it's not that important, I'm just curious since NYMC, Tufts, Temple, and Drexel had no trouble cashing my checks!

I'm sure this has been answered before, but has anyone been rejected pre-interview from these schools? What about Jefferson? I'm just wondering if there are holding onto everyone...or just some of us? Thanks!

parasiterex said:
none of them are slow to cash the check. I mean, if you were in their shoes, you'd do the same thing. they actually get a great deal of money from the application fees. i think boston gets like 10k apps... and each are around 60 or 75 if i remember correctly.. that's a good number ;-). but for time wise. they get a lot of applicants and i guess they wanna make sure that they look at the most amount of options that they have. and filter slowly. that's why i feel like applying early decision to a school is the best way to go.