Anyone match into ortho with a bad board score??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FractureFixer

Break it and you buy it!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I got back a pretty bad Step 1 score (228) and was wondering if I still have a chance for ortho?? Any tales or experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is many people will tell you, a 228 won't exclude you but it definitely doesn't help you. you'll have to find other parts of your app that shine and focus on that.

I read the outcome charts and people have stories of friends of cousins of boyfriends who matched. I am curious if others have matched themselves with such a bad score. I just do not want to apply for ortho and then not match, and have to scrabble into FM.

I read the outcome charts and people have stories of friends of cousins of boyfriends who matched. I am curious if others have matched themselves with such a bad score. I just do not want to apply for ortho and then not match, and have to scrabble into FM.

Dude

who the f@#% is telling you that a 228 is a bad score? If you DID READ the outcome charts you'd see WELL OVER HALF of applicants are matching with a board score in that range. Is it a GREAT score? No, but it isn't going to be the deal-breaker in your application.

There is no score on step one that will prevent you from going unmatched. If you want to apply for ortho, not matching is a risk you are going to have to accept.

I was once an ortho hopeful. My Step I score was a 231 and at the last minute I decided not to go through with the match. Instead I embarked on a year of research and am applying to GenSurg, which I think is a much better fit for me, instead.

I regret my decision not to enter the match because that score certainly didn't disqualify me (just would have made it harder).
on the other hand, I would have been miserable if I went through with the match because in my opinion I would have made a terrible ortho resident for many reasons. And general surgery is so much more me.

Listen, you still have MS3 and Step2 as well as possibly opportunities for research- MILK THOSE like your life depends on it.
a 228 is not a bad score. In a sea of 240s and 250s though, it does stand out.
I would
ace core rotations- that's where the money is
do great research- 1 paper from a long-term (1-2yr or more) project is better than several abstracts from 3 or 4 week projects.
take step 2 early and kill it before interviews
shine on your aways/home subI

bottom line, 228 step I is not a death sentence.
I'll bet you some of the best residents you'll meet on your ortho rotations did not make a "fantastic" score on stepI.

Listen, your med school career is still young and plastic. You still have plenty of time to mold it and make yourself competitive.

All the Best
Thanks so much!:D

I'd add that getting some really, really good LOR's lined up would be helpful. If your crazy about ortho, it wouldn't hurt to develop a mentoring relationship with an ortho doc and/or introduce yourself to the chair.

I'm just starting med school so I'm hardly an expert on this, but I'd say that research is probably the lowest priority on the above list, although it's a great way to get an LOR. There has been a lot of discussion on here as well as several good peer-reviewed articles which support strongly that research is a relatively insignificant factor in your mach success. You would be better served IMHO to focus on honoring your rotations, and killing your away rotations, which seem to be more important in ortho than other competitive specialties.

Last edited:
You DO realize that a 228 is well above the 50th percentile, right?

You DO realize that a 228 is well above the 50th percentile, right?
Can you explain that in terms I would understand. I do not know what you are implying. A 50% is horrible. Definetly a failing score.:(

Can you explain that in terms I would understand. I do not know what you are implying. A 50% is horrible. Definetly a failing score.:(

How have you made it this far through your education without understanding the concept of a percentile?

55th %ile - means that you did better then 55% of the students who took the exam, but also 45% did better then you. It's not the % of questions you got right.

A 228 is the ~70%ile.

Members don't see this ad :)
55th %ile - means that you did better then 55% of the students who took the exam, but also 45% did better then you. It's not the % of questions you got right.

A 228 is the ~70%ile.
Ohh. I think I like a 50 percentile better than a 50 percent.

So how bad is a 70 percentile??? That sounds still pretty bad. I am ranked in the "C" percentile. Hopefully that 3O percentile smarter than me do not want to fix fractures......otherwise I am toast!!

Wait, what does that face slap mean. Is the 70 percentile really that bad?? I looked it up on wikipedia and it doesnt tell me if it is good or bad to be only 70 %.

Anyone understand what I was inquiring?:confused:

Hey guys whats going on in HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Heart.Attack.jpg

wow...fxfixer, i sure hope you're kidding from your posts.

Ahhh so good to have Tired back. I've been wondering where you went. Always nice to have you shed some real light on these questions in only a way you can. NRMP data is your friend folks.

Guess I missed it to much to stay away. A couple years ago there was that Ortho resident who used to just come through here, call everyone a "DB" and terrify the little ones into never posting here again. The Ortho forum was a wasteland, but it was still preferable to the monotone ******ation of the "pre-" forums.

AAWWW my SDN idol is back.:D

So what do you mean exactly turd doctor? Are you saying that research is all that I need even with my lower score? ALso what program are you at? (I may apply there and then possibly you would vouch for me). Any help would make me stoked!

Thx
-FF

No, what I'm saying is that you came on this board asking if a 228 makes you a no-go for Ortho residency, and the answer is no. I have no idea what the rest of your application looks like, nor do I particularly care. If you want a prediction for the future, go buy a crystal ball. If you want to get into an Ortho residency, do all the basic things everyone else does, trying to hit as many of the "positives" as you can (found in the NRMP papers and every stinking residency guide book out there), and hopefully things will work out for you.

There's no magic formula, and saying that "research is all [you] need even with [your] lower score" would be stupid. You get incremental benefit for every box you check, so check as many as you can and say a prayer before you go to bed at night.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice and clearing that up. So you never responded to what program you are at and if you will vouch for me or at the very least write me a LOR? (it may be a bit much to ask, but it never hurts to try right?)

ThX
-FF

I'd add that getting some really, really good LOR's lined up would be helpful. If your crazy about ortho, it wouldn't hurt to develop a mentoring relationship with an ortho doc and/or introduce yourself to the chair.

I'm just starting med school so I'm hardly an expert on this, but I'd say that research is probably the lowest priority on the above list, although it's a great way to get an LOR. There has been a lot of discussion on here as well as several good peer-reviewed articles which support strongly that research is a relatively insignificant factor in your mach success. You would be better served IMHO to focus on honoring your rotations, and killing your away rotations, which seem to be more important in ortho than other competitive specialties.

I tried avoiding this thread for obvious reasons, but I just want to address this because it's kind of msleading.

Well it's insignificant because EVERYBODY lists some sort of research experience (legitimate or not). But that means that by applying without having done some sort of research in medical school is potentially a red flag to programs. It's not that hard to talk to ortho residents, attendings, and PhD's within your medical school and ask about projects that are going on. It doesn't have to lead to an abstract, pub, or even a LOR. Just get something done so you can go on interviews and talk about some topic in orthopaedics and not sound lke a total *****.

A mod? Damn, Tired I'm trying to cut down on the time I spend here as it is.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and clearing that up. So you never responded to what program you are at and if you will vouch for me or at the very least write me a LOR? (it may be a bit much to ask, but it never hurts to try right?)

ThX
-FF

LORs usually start out with a sentence or two declaring how and how long the writer knows the applicant. What's Tired going to say? "From SDN?" Come on man, be logical.

One word of advice for you and anyone who wants to match into a competitive specialty -- do NOT ***** yourself out. Have some level of self respect. Don't beg, for anything. EVER. You come across very petty and insecure. Just work hard and be genuine. People will notice. Trust me.

Ortho is a great field. G'luck guys!

No, what I'm saying is that you came on this board asking if a 228 makes you a no-go for Ortho residency, and the answer is no. I have no idea what the rest of your application looks like, nor do I particularly care. If you want a prediction for the future, go buy a crystal ball. If you want to get into an Ortho residency, do all the basic things everyone else does, trying to hit as many of the "positives" as you can (found in the NRMP papers and every stinking residency guide book out there), and hopefully things will work out for you.

There's no magic formula, and saying that "research is all [you] need even with [your] lower score" would be stupid. You get incremental benefit for every box you check, so check as many as you can and say a prayer before you go to bed at night.

Anybody else in total shock that Tired is feeding him/her as well? :)

Would you all recommend taking Step 2 early?? As in July? I feel like I will missing out on the opportunity to do my home rotation in July (earliest offered) and then 2 aways after that before applying. Exact score (228) as OP. Please let me know. I understand 228 is not a terrible, not a great score. My application otherwise is good with research, 3rd year honors, and will be getting good letters. Thank you in advance.