Anyone start out with >2.5X loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Dentaltown it seems like most dentists eventually end up moving up to higher magnification levels once they adjust to their loupes, so I'm considering saving some dough by starting with a higher mag from the beginning.

Did anyone try starting at ~3.5X instead of 2.5X, and how did that work for you? I've already searched for related posts here and at DT, but more input is always welcome. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I can comment on this a little :). I do work where I have to work under magnification at about 3.5X. It was pretty hard to adjust to at first, but once you get the hang not that bad. It all boils down the training your hands to move in correlation with your field of vision. I personally think that you could start out with any magnification however it might not be necessary initially to have more than 2.5X i'm not really sure for dental work....

OK i have an update. I just setup our variable magnification dissecting scope and was just looking at my finger. 2.5X was a nice distance to look at detail and surroundings. 3.5X really began to focus in on individual details a bit more than 2.5X and decreased the field of vision as expected. I think I could handle 3.5X and prefer it based on this little experiment.

PS i'm going to bring in one of my wisdom teeth later today and check it out under 2.5X and 3.5X and then report back :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, if you are going to do it, i would recommend the expanded field version. I have the 3.5 expanded field designs for vision model and I love them. Had them from the beginning pretty much.

ours are included in our lab fees as 2.5x.

any higher and i think the viewable area would diminish quite a bit.

My reponse: YOU may personally never need 3.5x loupes. We seem to think that we must use loupes for every procedure, but that isn't true. Sure, they're great for some things but I'm young still and my eyes aren't *that* bad for most things, so I can get away without using them. And, on the flip-side, there are times when I rely on them a lot.

So, don't base your decision on what a bunch of old-farts on Dentatown use. I've seen so much misinformation over there that it isn't funny (and yes, there's misinformation here as well from time to time).

And for the record, I use the standard issue 2.5x at my school.

I neglected to mention that higher magnification isn't always better. I only use 2.5, but I already feel that my field of vision is far too limited. 3.5 would probably drive me crazy unless I absolutely needed it.