Anyone transition from AAFP to CFPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: American/Canadian IMG, Dual Citizen, doing PGY2 at a well known ACGME university program

Need to head to Ontario. I emailed HFO (Health Force Ontario), I guess its a subcontracted company by the Health Ministry that helps IMG's figure out what/how to proceed for licensure.

Based on what they said, there are 2 pathways:

Pathway 1: College of Family Medicine Recognized training

The College of Family Physicians of Canada will let Family Medicine physicians who’ve completed training which led to certification in the Unites States apply for a “certification without examination” . If you were to obtain this certification and take the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exams 1 and 2, you could apply to the CPSO for an independent license.

Question: MCCQE1/2 requires EE to be taken, soooo that's 3 exams vs. 2? AFIK, exceptions to the EE are given if I was ABFP certified, which wont happen till PG year 3.

Pathway 2: Alternative Registration – Pathway 4

If you are planning to only write the American Boards exams, there is the policy called Pathway 4. Pathway 4 applies to international medical graduate physicians like yourself, who has completed an ACGME-accredited training program in the United States; are board certified in their specialty; and have passed all the USMLE exams; and are eligible for an independent license in any US state. Under Pathway 4 - you would get a restricted license requiring that you practice under supervision for a certain period of time, usually 12-18 months and then undergo a practice assessment (at your expense) by the CPSO. At the end of the process you would be authorized for independent practice within your assessed scope.

Question: Is this paid? Does anyone know? It would suck to go from earning $56000/year (haha) + Moonlighting to $-20000/year.

As you guys can probably tell, I do not want to take the exams if I don't have to, but I am willing to if absolutely needed.

I was planning on applying to a fellowship program which doesn't require the exams to be taken (but does require limited? licensure)

Members don't see this ad.