AO GPA Dealbreaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evo512

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see its common to have a higher AO GPA than BCPM GPA but for me its the exact opposite. BCPM GPA 3.62, AO GPA 2.79, and cGPA 3.42. This was due to dual credit classes I took in high school getting 2 C-s in. Then in college I only took 5 more AO GPA counting classes, but did have a UW GPA trend. I didnt do well on the CARS section of the MCAT, 124. So it seems to me as though I am painting a picture of not being a strong humanities student. I am applying right now and my main concern is that that might be something an interviewer would bring up during an interview, if I make it that far. This sounds dumb but would seeing my writing in my personal statement and secondaries do anything to counteract that impression since they were well written?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not, because a lot of people receive a lot of help (both paid and unpaid) on their submissions. The review is holistic, so no one thing will doom your application, but the answer to your question is no, well written essays do not mitigate a weak CARS score or AO GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I see its common to have a higher AO GPA than BCPM GPA but for me its the exact opposite. BCPM GPA 3.62, AO GPA 2.79, and cGPA 3.42. This was due to dual credit classes I took in high school getting 2 C-s in. Then in college I only took 5 more AO GPA counting classes, but did have a UW GPA trend. I didnt do well on the CARS section of the MCAT, 124. So it seems to me as though I am painting a picture of not being a strong humanities student. I am applying right now and my main concern is that that might be something an interviewer would bring up during an interview, if I make it that far. This sounds dumb but would seeing my writing in my personal statement and secondaries do anything to counteract that impression since they were well written?
No. Most pre-meds seem to the PS with almost magical qualities that it will alone get than an acceptance, when in reality, some 5% are really bad, another 5% are really good, and the remaining 90% all gel with one another.

Your entire app with do the talking for you and SDNers are strongly advised to not put their hopes into single metrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing your AMCAS GPA Grid, which is how you will be evaluated by adcoms, would be helpful in offering an opinion
No. Most pre-meds seem to the PS with almost magical qualities that it will alone get than an acceptance, when in reality, some 5% are really bad, another 5% are really good, and the remaining 90% all gel with one another.

Your entire app with do the talking for you and SDNers are strongly advised to not put their hopes into single metrics.
I looked and with a 506 MCAT I had ~36% chance of being accepted. I know it has gotten more competitive since COVID happened. I am a Texas resident and filled out a TMDSAS application. Should I look to apply to out of state DO schools. I have not submitted my AACOMAS thinking id wait and see how many interviews I got from TMDSAS and AMCAS schools. I posted a WAMC in march and was said I should look to apply to DOs. I just thought my chances would be highest at an in-state DO versus an out of state one so applying seems unlikely to help. Is that an incorrect train of thought?

I looked and with a 506 MCAT I had ~36% chance of being accepted. I know it has gotten more competitive since COVID happened. I am a Texas resident and filled out a TMDSAS application. Should I look to apply to out of state DO schools. I have not submitted my AACOMAS thinking id wait and see how many interviews I got from TMDSAS and AMCAS schools. I posted a WAMC in march and was said I should look to apply to DOs. I just thought my chances would be highest at an in-state DO versus an out of state one so applying seems unlikely to help. Is that an incorrect train of thought?
This is not the grid he is talking about!!! :) He means the AMCAS GPA grid from which you are quoting your GPA numbers, so that he can see the trend and the year by year composition.

By the way, you are correct -- everything has become far more competitive since COVID. In addition, your stats are at the very bottom of the box in the grid you are referring to, so your odds, even using it, are probably closer to around 30% than 36%, just going by the boxes immediately below and to the left.

Finally, yes, just like you applied to OOS MD schools, if you are applying DO, why would you limit yourself only to IS schools, even though your odds are always highest at your IS schools?

Being a TX native, chances are best in TX.

The AMCAS grid can be deceiving, as it's skewed by state schools that favor the home team, especially those in the south and midwest.

And yes, you should be applying to OOS DO schools as well.