AOA Launches Multi-Year "DO Awareness Campaign"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The simple fact is, much of the stuff that works isn't stuff most physicians would want to do. It's more of a sports med/PM&R/pain med sort of thing, so I think it should either become its own specialty and/or folded into certain residencies of specialties that can utilize it, rather than taught to everyone.

I mean, a year of OMM I think is good enough to get people to learn how to use their hands and treat or identify things is all we need to know at the level of our first or second year. I mean, in all honesty OMM and PCM struggle for me to remember stuff because there is rarely a pathology that makes me remember it well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it will make PDs who are welcoming to DOs change their minds.

I read that by 2020, MD and DO schools will have a single application system, no more separate application services like they exist now, if that is the case, are PDs really going to continue to discriminate against DOs? I am thinking by that point we finally reach parity with MDs.

I read that by 2020, MD and DO schools will have a single application system, no more separate application services like they exist now, if that is the case, are PDs really going to continue to discriminate against DOs? I am thinking by that point we finally reach parity with MDs.

They're going to continue to "discriminate" just like they discriminate based on step 1 scores.

It's part of your qualifications/CV, not discrimination.

Reactions: 1 users
They're going to continue to "discriminate" just like they discriminate based on step 1 scores.

It's part of your qualifications/CV, not discrimination.

I agree.

230 from HMS is not the same 230 from DrexelSOM.

With that said, after the merger and decades forward, I believe the stigma agasint DO will only erode more and more and rightfully so.

Reactions: 1 user
I read that by 2020, MD and DO schools will have a single application system, no more separate application services like they exist now...
I would like to know where you read this. That way I can know that the source is completely untrustworthy for any other information.

EDIT: Not meant as a personal slight against you. It just seems very unlikely to happen in such a short timeframe in the absence of any announcement from the involved parties.

Last edited:
I would like to know where you read this. That way I can know that the source is completely untrustworthy for any other information.
Do you obtain pleasure from being a constant contrarian?

Do you obtain pleasure from being a constant contrarian?
I don't necessarily believe something because someone says it. Look and you'll see that there are plenty of things I agree with most posters here about.

I don't necessarily believe something because someone says it. Look and you'll see that there are plenty of things I agree with most posters here about.

I don't think this is entirely true....

Like the validity of OMM, right?
If the JAOA and NEJM said that DO and MD schools will have a single common application in 2020, I would be more likely to believe it.

EDIT: Not meant as a personal slight against you. It just seems very unlikely to happen in such a short timeframe in the absence of any announcement from the involved parties.

Someone else in another thread had mentioned it, and given the merger I am assuming that this will eventually happen one day. I am going to search the the threads again to see where I found the statement.

I think that's sort of a fair thing to speculate about, but it looks pretty unlikely. Claiming a specific year is silly, as clearly nothing has been announced officially to that respect.

I think that's sort of a fair thing to speculate about, but it looks pretty unlikely. Claiming a specific year is silly, as clearly nothing has been announced officially to that respect.

We don't know when it will happen but my guess it eventually will happen sometime in the future. With the current generation of administrators at the schools and the AOA, they won't allow it because they like DO schools and DOs to remain distinct from MDs, the Gen X and Gen Y DOs are eager to be on the same level as MDs.

We don't know when it will happen but my guess it eventually will happen sometime in the future. With the current generation of administrators at the schools and the AOA, they won't allow it because they like DO schools and DOs to remain distinct from MDs, the Gen X and Gen Y DOs are eager to be on the same level as MDs.

Not sure "on the same level as MDs" makes much sense, honestly. Caribbean graduates are MDs and I don't think anyone really considers that degree to be on the same level as DO. So it doesn't really seem valid to think that changing the degree name to MD will automatically change how people think of those schools.