AOA match when does it open

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does AOA match open?

website just says by end of june....

Members don't see this ad.

When does AOA match open?

website just says by end of june....

Are you talking about the application process or when you can start registering for the match?

Applying is in like July, and may even vary to some degree by the program. Hopefully you got your ERAS info from your school and can work on your app already. I don't think you actually have to register for the match until later. I think my school automatically registers all of us, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
You can build your application I think now, or soon. It opens, ie releases to programs in July, and you start receiving invitations in July. You have to register for the AOA and ACGME matches separately and of course those have associated costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you both for the reply.

I am a bit confused.

If I want to apply to AOA programs (AOA/ACGME dual accredited actually).

I do it through ERAS? or https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/?

thanks again

I am a bit confused.

thanks again

The applications are all through ERAS whether AOA or ACGME. The designation and numbers of the programs vary depending on the match, but you apply through the same application. Separately you have to register for the match and indicate to the programs where you interviewed which match you plan to participate in.

You register for the match in Oct/Nov or even as late as Dec/Jan.

I am a bit confused.

thanks again
You seem to be a little behind in knowledge of the application process so let me see if I can help. Most non-military residency programs in the US use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for the application process. There is also the Central Application Service (CAS) through the SFMatch for Ophthalmology and Plastic Surgery. ERAS opens to applicants May 26th and applications can start to be submitted July 15th for AOA programs and September 15th for ACGME programs. Then you set up interviews either through the ERAS messaging feature or the program will email you directly (be sure to check spam/junk folder regularly). You must register for the matches separately of which there are the main two: National Match Service (AOA) and National Residency Match Program (ACGME). There is also the San Francisco match (sfmatch.org) for ACMGE ophthalmology and plastic surgery and the American Urology Association (AUA) match for ACGME urology. Registering for the matches are additional fees beyond ERAS as user Petypet stated.

You must register and submit your rank list for the AOA National Matching Service match by a date in late January. You must register for NRMP by November 30th otherwise there is an additional $50 fee. The NRMP rank list deadline isn't until February 22nd though.

You need to go to the website for each programs you are applying to and make sure you are aware of their application process, calendar, requirements. Write them down if there is anything unique about them compared to the norm. Find out as much as you can about each program you are most sincerely interested in.

For dual-accredited programs, you can submit applications on ERAS for their AOA match, their NRMP match, or both. You will only be interviewed once and you may tell them you intend to rank them on the AOA side, ACGME side, or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
perfect. all clear

thank you sooooo much ;D