AOA Osteopathic Addiction Board Certifications with Primary DO vs MD Family Medicine Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else in a similar situation?

The AOA Addiction Medicine board had requirements that fit better for me than the ABPM (ABMS), so I opted for the clinical pathway with the AOA. I have the AOA and the ABFM (ABMS) Family Medicine boards since my residency required the AOA and I wanted to use ABFM long term (much easier to work with).

The AOA requirement for the Addiction board specifically says you can use a primary AOA OR ABMS board. You still do NOT need to have an AOA board to even apply for the AOA Addiction board. I supplied my ABFM board to them when I applied. They were happy with my ABFM board and the $2500 when I took the test.

Since then, they have threatened to inactivate my AOA Addiction board when when my AOA Family board expires and refuse to use my ABFM board as the primary board.

I will absolutely let my AOA Family board lapse, and the AOA Addiction board lapse if the are no other options. The AOA requirements are confusing and expensive, I never know when they will change, and everyone I talk to gives me different answers to my questions.

Anyone else in a similar situation with an AOA Addiction board? Is there a way I can resolve this, or do I just have to see what happens/let it go?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to an attorney familiar with these boards. All it will take is a letter from an attorney for them to magically figure out that they can follow their rules. This is how America words today, unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user