AOA Post Match advice needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theosteoblasts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to give some background, I am a 2018 DO graduate that graduated last year but could not find a residency in the match because I had a PE score that I had to wait on(2nd attempt) which led to me getting no interviews. My scores are not good and the obvious red flag of failed boards counts against me.

I did research this year during interview season and got 2 interviews for Family Medicine in hospitals that I do like very much.

I know my chances of matching are not great but that the AOA Post Match is my best chance of getting a residency for next year. My first choice is Internal Medicine(because I think I lean towards inpatient more than outpatient) but would be equally happy if I got a Family Medicine position since most of my favorite rotations were with Family Medicine.

My question is, what is the best way to handle the Post Match in order to get a residency in case I don't match? Emails? Calls? Should I bother with AOA IM programs with openings or do I not have any chance at all ?

I have the conception that it will be easier to find something in the AOA than the ACGME just because more DO's are taking part in ACGME match every year . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think calling would be more efficient. Definitely go for IM too. Apply to all the positions you can if you have to scramble, it’s worth a shot. Did you register for the main match too?

Reactions: 1 user
I think calling would be more efficient. Definitely go for IM too. Apply to all the positions you can if you have to scramble, it’s worth a shot. Did you register for the main match too?

I did but unfortunately didn't get any NRMP match interviews. I can scramble into that as well and thats my second shot(less likely).

I did but unfortunately didn't get any NRMP match interviews. I can scramble into that as well and thats my second shot(less likely).
Okay, good. That gives you yet another shot at getting into a residency. Hopefully you match at one of the two you ranked in AOA, otherwise apply to everywhere you’d be willing to go in the scramble. Then you have another back up with the acgme soap although that one will probably be more competitive. Best of luck and keep us posted on Monday!

So it looks like I didnt match in the AOA and will scramble later today.

Afternoon of nervous phone calls, frantic emails, and sweating awaits :(

Keep your head up. You got this. Once the list is released at noon start calling programs right away. Best of luck and keep us posted. Let me know if you need anyone to vent to!

I’ve been lurking on this thread the entire time. The AOA match this year was
Likely the most competitive... keep your head up and good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sitting in our GME office with another TY, been hitting refresh for a couple of hours, stuff has been popping up and disappearing all morning. There were roughly 77 EM spots total, pretty sure I'm going to have to ride it out until the ACGME match.

Good Luck!

I'm sitting in our GME office with another TY, been hitting refresh for a couple of hours, stuff has been popping up and disappearing all morning. There were roughly 77 EM spots total, pretty sure I'm going to have to ride it out until the ACGME match.

Good Luck!

I'm on the Post Match website waiting for another hour. Where are you searching already for them?

Same place. You can hit refresh and something might pop up for 5 minutes and then disappear when you refresh again

OK. If you click on one of the programs that shows up, what if it says they have 0 unfulfilled positions?

That doesnt seem right.

Good Luck!

Best of luck to you too!

Getting sent to voicemail for a lot of them and leaving messages.

@theosteoblasts did you have any luck today?

Left a lot of voicemails. Followed up with emails. Got 2-3 programs that said they are participating in NRMP SOAP. 2-3 programs asked me to send them stuff. Writing my last couple emails now and then going to follow up with even more distant programs/recall today's programs tomorrow.

Feels like I aged a couple years today.

I am not having luck in the scramble. Has anyone?

I am not having luck in the scramble. Has anyone?

A few FM places emailed me back to send applications thru ERAS but nothing major. Not a peep heard from any IM programs. At this point having a job in June is all I want.

I'm also currently in the AOA scramble and my experience thus far has been exactly the same as yours. Not a peep from any IM program with the occasional FM program asking me to send my stuff in. Its been a pretty terrible week but not sure what else we can do at this point so lets keep our heads up and hope for the best.

It seems that a lot of place with advertised open positions are opting to try to enter the ACGME match. Are any of the fellow scramblers waiting to try to SOAP for any potential positions via that route?

It seems that a lot of place with advertised open positions are opting to try to enter the ACGME match. Are any of the fellow scramblers waiting to try to SOAP for any potential positions via that route?
I'm encountering the same thing right now. I am a former TY who has been vying for FM spots instead of trying to match PM&R (since it hasn't worked out for the past 2 years now). I guess SOAP is gonna have to be it, technically the open AOA spots have until February 11th to decide if they want to roll over their positions into the NRMP pool so I'm still trying. Unfortunately I have my COMLEX failures to deal with, nice to know an exam that I took almost 3.5 years ago is still the bane of my existence today. I'm lucky to have a well-compensated, part-time employment gig at a clinic as a provider with my TY so at least I'm paying my bills; but I just want to complete a damn residency already. :(

I apologize if this is a dumb question since it’s probably something you all already thought of, but have you tried specifically targeting programs that aren’t ACGME accredited yet? Looks like there are a few, and they won’t be able to do NRMP/SOAP so you’d have the best luck there.

Very sorry to hear about the rough scramble this year. Hope it works out for you all!

I apologize if this is a dumb question since it’s probably something you all already thought of, but have you tried specifically targeting programs that aren’t ACGME accredited yet? Looks like there are a few, and they won’t be able to do NRMP/SOAP so you’d have the best luck there.

Very sorry to hear about the rough scramble this year. Hope it works out for you all!

Applied there when they asked and heard nothing back yet. Feels like my dreams of being a doctor are dying slowly.

Any luck buddy? If not best of luck in the acgme! Rooting for you

Hey, no luck yet. A couple of programs said they will be looking at applications over the next couple of months and to let them know if we accept other offers.

I know my chances are even lower in acgme scramble so I'm not too optimistic. Now I have to compete with IMGs and Derm/Anesthesia for things like TRIs even

Reactions: 1 users
BTW... Prevention 2019 is right around the corner! And it's in Pittsburgh this year. And, I'll be there! Prevention 2019 - American College of Preventive Medicine
prevention2019-email.png