This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostfoundinthematch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am DO student looking to see my chances at residency

Level 1 Comlex 470
Level 2 PE failed 1st attempt but passed 2nd attempt
Failed level 2 CE haven't had chance to retake. Rescheduled now in 6 days not much study time. Score will not be available till ~Feb 20th
Can I still scramble without a Passing level 2 CE on transcript?
No class failures in med school, great LOR from faculty and programs.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

If I am not mistaken, you still can scramble and match without a level 2 passing score. However you must pass both level 2 CE and PE prior to starting residency.

Make sure you pass on the 2nd attempt. Do not give yourself the option of needing a 3rd attempt. Extend the test date if you need to.

Reactions: 1 user
It's gonna be real tough for a program to give you a spot without a passing CE. Nevertheless, you should still apply during scramble to as many places as possible. Some programs will not consider you without passing CE, they want to make sure if they give you spot you will be graduating in may/june.

Also, you can call the NBOME phone # to find an approximate date of when your CE scores will be available. Your best bet is a home program associated where you med school or somewhere you rotated. In worst care is your scores come in late and you have do a TRI for a year, in that case I would do TRI where they have the residency you want so you can just continue on to that residency after TRI. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your replies.
I should not rush to attempt the level 2 CE.
I was hoping to get a score before the NRMP match?

If you don’t have USMLEs, don’t even bother with NRMP.
If OP hadn't failed level 2, wouldn't he get in somewhere for family med with just the comlex? Lots of programs take them...

If OP hadn't failed level 2, wouldn't he get in somewhere for family med with just the comlex? Lots of programs take them...

Yes, plenty of great DO FM programs out there. Our DO med school class had >95% match rate. Pass your tests, graduate and you will get a job. It may not be the location you want but you won't be left holding on to greater than 200k in debt and without a job, hence why DO>Caribbean anyday of the week.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree though I meant plenty of DOs match into acgme fm programs without the greatest scores. Isn't that true?
Yes, plenty of great DO FM programs out there. Our DO med school class had >95% match rate. Pass your tests, graduate and you will get a job. It may not be the location you want but you won't be left holding on to greater than 200k in debt and without a job, hence why DO>Caribbean anyday of the week.

But I don't know how many of those are COMLEX/no USMLE people, although I guess that that number is small.
Well if they accept comlex scores, why would it be small necessarily? For example, many people do well on comlex and average on usmle so they submit only their comlex to dual programs in the acgme match.

Well if they accept comlex scores, why would it be small necessarily? For example, many people do well on comlex and average on usmle so they submit only their comlex to dual programs in the acgme match.
Because, if you asked ACGME program directors to interpret COMLEX, you'd get blank stares. Your 700 on COMLEX means little to nothing to Duke surgery or Harvard IM.

Because, if you asked ACGME program directors to interpret COMLEX, you'd get blank stares. Your 700 on COMLEX means little to nothing to Duke surgery or Harvard IM.
We're talking community FM acgme programs (which take lots of DOs annually), not top 10 IM.

We're talking community FM acgme programs (which take lots of DOs annually), not top 10 IM.
Still, going ACGME without USMLE had a huge random aspect to it. If you're in Iowa or Michigan or Pennsylvania, for example, you can, maybe, go COMLEX only. But, are you willing to take that risk?

Still, going ACGME without USMLE had a huge random aspect to it. If you're in Iowa or Michigan or Pennsylvania, for example, you can, maybe, go COMLEX only. But, are you willing to take that risk?
It's a hypothetical discussion but with more and more former AOA programs which are now dual and also interviewing DOs in the acgme match.. I don't see how it's risky? There are some posters on here with low comlex scores who still matched to a top choice acgme FM program. I do agree however that it ranges from very risky to flat out stupid to use the comlex outside of FM acgme.

It's a hypothetical discussion but with more and more former AOA programs which are now dual and also interviewing DOs in the acgme match.. I don't see how it's risky? There are some posters on here with low comlex scores who still matched to a top choice acgme FM program. I do agree however that it ranges from very risky to flat out stupid to use the comlex outside of FM acgme.

Its not really a risk if you're going ACGME FM with COMLEX only, unless you're applying to only the most competitive programs or programs in really competitive areas, e.g. CA. There are plenty of ACGME FM programs that take DOs with COMLEX scores only.

Reactions: 1 user
So I matched without too much trouble. Primary care good program.
Just need to finish a couple of outstanding things before graduation and residency start.

Thank you for your help.

Quick Question- have you guys heard of anyone then taking the USMLE step1 or Step 2 after or during 1st year of residency?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi I'm posting for my friend. She scrambled for an AOA residency position. A program she interviewed with sent her an email "Confirm address. Sending contract." Nothing more, nothing less. She replied to the email but there was no response. Is she suppose to login somewhere to accept the offer posted somewhere? When will she get a contract?

Thanks!

Hi I'm posting for my friend. She scrambled for an AOA residency position. A program she interviewed with sent her an email "Confirm address. Sending contract." Nothing more, nothing less. She replied to the email but there was no response. Is she suppose to login somewhere to accept the offer posted somewhere? When will she get a contract?

Thanks!

Tell your “friend” to call, like yesterday. That’s pretty sketchy.

Reactions: 2 users
So I matched without too much trouble. Primary care good program.
Just need to finish a couple of outstanding things before graduation and residency start.

Thank you for your help.

Quick Question- have you guys heard of anyone then taking the USMLE step1 or Step 2 after or during 1st year of residency?

Congrats on matching! Can't imagine how much of a relief that must be. I'm in a similar situation and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice/reassurance since I'm terrified I won't match. My stats are:

Comlex I: 506
Comlex II PE: Failed 1st attempt, passed 2nd
Comlex II CE: 550
Took a personal leave of absence for 6 months, will still be a senior when I apply in July

Interested in FM or IM, willing to go to any program in any location... will scramble, TRI whatever... is there any hope?