AP Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetlight

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be a freshman next year and am in the process of picking classes. I'm not sure how to fit in my premed reqs freshman year. I am able to place out of biology, multivariable calc, and a half/full year of physics using various credit. Would it be smart to pass out of these classes and move on to more advanced courses or to retake the "college version" of the courses? Also, I'm on Pass/No Record first semester - should I even take any premed req classes first semester?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

streetlight said:
I'll be a freshman next year and am in the process of picking classes. I'm not sure how to fit in my premed reqs freshman year. I am able to place out of biology, multivariable calc, and a half/full year of physics using various credit. Would it be smart to pass out of these classes and move on to more advanced courses or to retake the "college version" of the courses? Also, I'm on Pass/No Record first semester - should I even take any premed req classes first semester?
Thanks for your help!
I'm all about using your ap credits to your advantage as long as u take upper level versions of the courses, esp biology. However, I would not take pre-med reqs p/f... i've been told time and time again that to adcoms, a p in a class = a C so i would either change out of p/f or don't take anything important first semester and wait till u have grades again to take ur pre-med reqs.

streetlight said:
Thanks for your help!

I think if you take general chemistry and/or physics the first semester, you will be in good shape. I know at my school (UIUC), most premeds take at least general chemistry their first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
rugirlie said:
I'm all about using your ap credits to your advantage as long as u take upper level versions of the courses, esp biology. However, I would not take pre-med reqs p/f... i've been told time and time again that to adcoms, a p in a class = a C so i would either change out of p/f or don't take anything important first semester and wait till u have grades again to take ur pre-med reqs.
i concur, use the ap credits. if some med schools fuss about them, **** em. or you can take them after you get accepted, that too. but do take higher courses, bio and chemistry. not so much physics, as thats not as pertinent to docs. one thing i might have changed is that i did not get 5s on some APs like physics and i took credit instead of retaking the class. you should probably retake and go for the A in that situation i think, it would help the gpa.

i was told that med schools would like to see you take theses classes in college instead of using AP. b/c in college you have a lot more to juggle than in high school (or at least you should) and they want to see your capacity at college level.

Use the AP, but take upperlevels in each area. There are only a few schools that don't permit using AP to fufill pre-reqs (Harvard, JHU, and some others). So if you want to go to harvard, you must retake or take upperlevels in their place.

I am looking at the toptier schools (MD/PhD programs). I haven't taken Bio since freshman year of high school so it would probably be good for me to retake it. I have no idea what I should do for skipping out of multivariable calc. I'm also not sure if I should skip out of Physics I and II (would I still need to take some form of physics to fulfill my requirements?)
Where can I find info on what med schools accept AP credit and which don't?