AP policy for most MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wondergirl3

Do most MD schools accept AP credits in non-science areas as fulfilling the pre-admission requirements? I am aware that AP credits in science is frowned upon unless you complete upper level courses in science as well, but what is the policy for math & english (in majority, I know I have to call individually, but what have you experiences for your application process so far?)

I want to know, so I can schedule my next semester classes accordingly of whether or not I should take other classes in math or english. I have AP credits for Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Statistics, and English 1. Will these fulfill the 1 year math/ 1 semester English requirements for MOST schools? The above AP credits are listed under my college transcript as approved by university.

Sincerely,
wondergirl3

Members don't see this ad.

If your college has accepted the AP courses for credit, it will count for med school purposes.

In my experience, for every applicable credit you AP out of you should take a higher level credit in the same discipline.

e.g. I AP'd out of Biology and took Cell Bio and Genetics at school to have the prerequisite two bio courses at college.

Some schools are particular with things like this but if you take comparable upper level courses it will always be seen as satisfactory. Vandy comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do not accept AP credits. I think MSAR is able to tell you whether or not a school accepts AP, IB, CLEP. You can also usually find the info on a specific school's admissions page. Most schools will accept AP if it was accepted by your undergraduate school and listed on your transcript. The other route as @acquiescing mentions is to take an upper level course in the discipline you have an AP credit in. This route should fulfill the requirement for all medical schools.

An example of 2 schools that don't accept AP without an upper level course credit:
Vanderbilt - https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-admissions/admission-requirements
Univ. of Nebraska Omaha - http://www.unmc.edu/com/entrance.htm

MOST will probably take them, sure. There are going to be a handful of schools that require college coursework for their pre req requirements. UCLA is another example to add to the above list of a school that doesn't accept AP credits. Not to sound snarky, but it would probably be wise to browse 30-50 schools' websites that you're interested in, especially if you're currently on winter break.

Here is yet another area in which the MSAR will be your best friend. Every school has a different policy on APs - some will accept them if listed on your transcript, some will accept them only for certain requirements (i.e., for the non-sciences), some will accept them only if you've also taken a higher level in the same discipline, some won't accept them at all.

Whether or not your credits will count depends on the school, so while for many schools you will likely be fine with the AP credits you have, if there are specific schools you are interested in, you'll want to investigate them all individually and determine if you are interested enough to alter your course schedule for those schools if their requirements differ.