APA pre-doctoral internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bariume

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me if doing an APA pre-doctoral intership is helpful to your career. If so, how? Why are these so competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bariume
Can anyone here tell me if doing an APA pre-doctoral intership is helpful to your career. If so, how? Why are these so competitive?

It's not only helpful, it's actually a requirement for the PhD / PsyD program and licensing.

Hi folks,
An APA approved doctoral program (PhD or PsyD) is required for licensure BUT neither an APA approved pre-doc internship nor an APA approved post-doc fellowship is.
APPIC lists all internship sites and matches candidates with both APA approved and non-APA approved ones.
DE JURE an APA approved internship is not an essential element in order to work as a professional psychologist, however, DE FACTO is totally different.
Almost every research/teaching position (and most clinical ones) require that the applicant submit proof of having completed both an APA approved doc program and an APA approved internship.
Consequently, while legally someone may be able to be a psychologist eventhough he or she did not do an APA-internship, practically it is very difficult to actually find employment as such.
Because of these market realities (not to mention the standardized training model-more or less) APA-internships are very competitive but in my opinion well-worth the challenge. It is a training decision that will have professional life-long consequences.
Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, APA internships tend to be paid, and non-APA are not necessarily paid. I know that's the case in Canada, don't know about the US. It's unbelievable that they expect almost professionals with a PhD to work for free, yet that's the case in Quebec for example (APA sites approved as well).

Also, I know some doctoral programs require the candidate complete an internship before they grant the degree.

Originally posted by Sanman
Also, I know some doctoral programs require the candidate complete an internship before they grant the degree.

Yup, that's why I said it's part of the program requirements. Whether it's a requirement for licensure varies across regulatory boards.

A pre-doc internship is most definitely required by all PhD and PsyD programs before they award the doctoral degree BUT the internship does not have to be APA approved.

Actually there are a couple of psy.d programs that don't require it, mostly the free-standing professional schools. However, these schools are just diploma mills in my opinion.

What APA accredited PsyD program doesn't require an internship?
As far as I know ALL APA accredited PhD/PsyD programs require a certain amount of academic and clinical experience, the latter including a pre-doc internship (which may in its own stead be either APA approved or not).
The APA makes a distinction between the overall doc program and the internship; accrediting or not approving each on its own merits, i.e., one can graduate from an APA accredited doc program having completed an APA non-approved internship.
I'm interested in knowing what APA accredited doc program doesn't require an internship; and for that matter, what APA non-accredited doc program is out there in the first place?

Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology makes the pre-doc internship optional. and I believe a couple others do too.

According to the official MSPP website what is optional is whether the student does an APA-approved internship or a non-APA one (they offer a 2 year, half-time internship through their own school). In either case the internship consists of 2,000 hours of clinical practice. Check out their website info below.

Pratica & Internship

Field Placement & Training | Pratica & Internship | Sample List Of Placements

The First Two Years: Practica
Practica have training goals consistent with the curricular goals of Year I and II. At this stage, field placements emphasize broad exposure to varied populations and life span issues, theoretical orientations, assessment procedures, and modalities of intervention. Practica require 16 hours per week in the first year and 20 hours in the second year. Field placements are approved for one year of training.

Incoming students may request that their current work site be evaluated as a practicum site. In order for this to happen, the site must comply with the School's standards as well as meet the learning needs of the student. Such requests should be made on the admissions application and then discussed at the admissions interviews. Decisions regarding these requests are made after admission but prior to registration. Approval for such sites is for one year only.

Internship Readiness Committee (IRC)
As students near the end of the second year, they are assessed by the Internship Readiness Committee (IRC) for their readiness to proceed to the internship level of training. This is based on the acquisition of particular knowledge, skills, and attitudes. The IRC considers the student?s academic, clinical, professional, and interpersonal development through a comprehensive review of the student?s academic record. After successful completion of relevant coursework and practica, and certification of readiness for internship, a student can begin his/her internship.

The Second Two Years: Internship
Internship training spans the third and fourth years of the program in two half-time placements. These occur while students complete the academic requirements of the program. Students may remain at the same site both years or may be at two different sites. Whichever option is chosen, MSPP faculty work with students and field sites to ensure that this advanced training is singular in nature, with a common understanding of the School?s and student?s overall educational plan and learning objectives.

The internship totals 2000 hours and must be completed within a 24-month period. Students typically spend 25 hours per week at their training sites when choosing a two-year, half-time internship plan. Students may elect to train in a full-time internship program. Students considering this option locally must generally complete their elective courses in the third year to allow for the demands of a full-time internship in year IV. Students interested in a geographically distant internship must add a fifth year to the program to complete the requirements.