Army APFT at BOLC -- when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frugopl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search on this, couldn't find a concrete answer. When is usually the fitness test administered during BOLC? In the beginning? At the end? I'm just meeting standards right now, still got a few weeks to go, but I want to ballpark how much more time (if any) I'll have at BOLC to improve.

Members don't see this ad.

Day 2-3. But don't worry... If you fail you get to wake up at the ass crack of dawn for remedial pt until you pass

Members don't see this ad :)
Day 2-3. But don't worry... If you fail you get to wake up at the ass crack of dawn for remedial pt until you pass

Ehh, could be worse. I doubt that I'll fail, but nice to know that you can keep trying till you pass in those 6 weeks.

Not anymore. If you don't have a recent (within 6 mos. I think) official PASS or some sort of profile, you take it on Day 2 or 3 at Ft. Sam and if you fail you go home.

Do they give you a spanking and say you're not allowed to work as a doctor then - Go home and think about what you've done?

Yeah, that does seem unlikely. I'd like to know what the end game is there too.

It was a joke last year at BOLC, no punishment for failed test, unless you were about to start active duty.

Nothing. I do the same number of sit-ups and push-ups, and run about the same time on my 2 mile as I have for as long as I have been taking PT tests. I've never scored a 300 primarily because I'm a terrible runner and it isn't worth the time or effort to me to attempt to max the run. I could max the sit-ups and push-ups with a little effort, but without the run there's no point. So I do the same number - every time. When I hit the predetermined number, I stop.

I do personally know people who were passed over for promotion for not meeting height/weight, but as long as you're passing your PT test you're good. A 300 score, as a physician, is for your own personal indulgement.

Thanks for the replies so far. Obviously the truth about the timing and what happens if you fail will only become clear once there; however, the fact that different people are telling me different things is driving me a little crazy. For example, something I found:

The initial APFT that you take when you first arrive to BOLC is a RECORD.
There are no Diagnostic APFTs conducted at BOLC. If you are an Active Duty
student and you fail the APFT the first time, you will have another
opportunity to successfully pass it after completing the field portion of
BOLC. Failure to successfully pass the APFT the second time will result in
being held in holdover status until you meet the course requirement of
successfully conducting 60% in each event. If you are a Reserve student and
you fail the initial APFT, you will automatically be sent back to your home
station.

This seems true to what Klokke was saying, opposite of what everyone else says. Heck, even the welcome email implies the opposite: You are required to take and pass the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) before completion of this course. With that being said, don't wait until you arrive to start physical training. You are required to achieve a score of at least 60% in each event in order to be considered a 'GO' at BOLC.

The question is:

HPSP students are IRR. However, are we considered Active at BOLC (get to retake a failed APFT after the field portion) or Reserve (ticket home after the first week for not meeting standards)?

I was going to stay away from this one, but I feel compelled to reply to the overall sentiment that should you not pass PT or HT/WT at BOLC nothing will happen. What can and will happen is that you will not be given credit for passing BOLC. Because you are HPSP or USUHS, you can only have orders for 45 days. Which is why unlike everyone else entering the Army, you can only stay there for a limited time and not be “held back” to meet height weight or pass the PT test. The Army G-1 is currently re-writing AR 350-1 taking this into consideration so that terms like holdover status until you meet the course requirement of successfully conducting 60% in each event will not apply to HPSP and USUHS students.

Now, here’s the kicker. There will be no special pays if you have not passed BOLC. This is coming soon to a theater near you. It’s already happening in Dental and Medical Service Corps. Also, If you do not pass the PT HT/WT within your internship year, your continuous contract is voided. BOLC, APFT, and HT/WT are quickly becoming conditions that must be met for GME. You want that surgical residency? Do BOLC and pass the PT HT/WT.

Members don't see this ad :)
The easiest thing to do is to just pass your APFT. It is honestly not that difficult.

Here's my two cents (o3 in ARNG). I'm a terrible runner and am not a crazy gym person. When I know I have a pt test coming up I start a couch to 5k app plan so as to finish the system about two weeks before my test. For those last two weeks I make sure I'm running 2ish miles at a pace that keeps me below my passing pace. I try to do a full pt test about a week prior to the actual test.
To train for sits and pushes, just wake up every morning and do as many as you can in 2 minutes and you'll be more than ready.
Again, this is what worked for me....

Here's what I do, and I'm a terrible runner:
I jog probably twice/week for health and to get outside. That's really only during the spring and fall because the winters here might as well be Hoth and the summers might as well be the 4th layer of hell. I'm terrible at it, I never run at a PT test pace, and I skimp out all the time.
About a week before the PT test, I do push-ups and sit-ups once, just to remind myself that I can.
On the day of the PT test I go out and pass it. Because it isn't that hard.
I used to spend a few weeks trying to get myself ready for the test. I stressed about it. I found that none of that made any difference for my run time, which is by far my weakest event. I took my last 2 tests with no preparation at all, and I scored essentially the same as always.

Here's what I do, and I'm a terrible runner:
I jog probably twice/week for health and to get outside. That's really only during the spring and fall because the winters here might as well be Hoth and the summers might as well be the 4th layer of hell. I'm terrible at it, I never run at a PT test pace, and I skimp out all the time.
About a week before the PT test, I do push-ups and sit-ups once, just to remind myself that I can.
On the day of the PT test I go out and pass it. Because it isn't that hard.
I used to spend a few weeks trying to get myself ready for the test. I stressed about it. I found that none of that made any difference for my run time, which is by far my weakest event. I took my last 2 tests with no preparation at all, and I scored essentially the same as always.

You're pretty much my favorite attending, and if you're at my facility I would like to drink a beer with you.

You're pretty much my favorite attending, and if you're at my facility I would like to drink a beer with you.
Don't make this weird.
Also, as there are no interns within 200 miles of me, I am not at your facility.

Reactions: 1 users
"...how long does it take you to belt out 40 push-ups? You can do it in the call room between calls and no one will die. You have 2 minutes to complete, and your patient can be anoxic for 5 before any serious brain damage occurs." - HighPriest

Maybe dr zaius and I can start a HighPriest Appreciation Society... not to be weird or anything...

No more meatheads in Ortho. :(

That's where you're wrong! It's all about that tape test. I hit that 4 way neck machine so hard I gave myself sleep apnea.

Reactions: 1 user
Might I suggest: injecting heroin into your IJ? I've seen some pretty engorged necks from something like that. No way those people would fail a tape test.
Or: cut out Iodine from your diet entirely. It'll take a few years to develop the goiter, but it'll be worth it.

Well seeing as how I've had 3 drug tests in 4 weeks now, I'll prob pass on the heroin. Probably just take that iodine idea and run with it...

I am one of the least hooah people in milmed, but even I think that the army and navy need to adopt a "looks acceptable when in uniform" standard on top of the weigh in and tape. There are so many fat bastards where I work, I'm embarrassed for the service. If we go to a real war in the next few years, we are dead

Last edited:
They would start eating each other after 6 hours without a snack.
So the stronger ones survive. Plus, there are fewer fatties for when we sally forth. You don't want to block the door a-la "the three stooges" on your way out. That'd just look ridiculous.

Yeah, this is a good plan.

That's where you're wrong! It's all about that tape test. I hit that 4 way neck machine so hard I gave myself sleep apnea.
Can someone explain the idea of how measuring your fat neck somehow offsets the measurement of your even-fatter gut?

TIA. I haven't kept up with the latest NEJM and IM/FP literature

Can someone explain the idea of how measuring your fat neck somehow offsets the measurement of your even-fatter gut?

Worked with a COL who had a routine to bulk up his neck right before weigh-in time. Apparently if you figure out the magic ratio you can ride that sugar-powdered horse all the way to donut heaven. Icing on the cake is crossing the 2-mile mark at 18:42 while eating a slice of pizza. 1SG's love it when fat docs try to get as close to max (time) as possible, really builds esprit de corps.

TIA. I haven't kept up with the latest NEJM and IM/FP literature

Can we also discuss how useless sit ups, push ups, and a 2 mile run are for assessing physical fitness? The only one that's relatively reasonable, in my opinion, is the run.

I tried to do the last APFT while I had bronchitis because the idea of dealing with the BS that went along with postponing it seemed terrible, and I ended up failing the run. Couldn't run 20 yards without coughing my brains out. I went to the retake with the rest of AMEDD's finest and it was hilarious. I highly recommend intentionally failing your next APFT so you can watch a portly resident call dinosaurs after mile 0.25. Hooah!

I wanted some clarifications...

How strict are the ht/wt/pt requirements for hpsp students? (AKA Do you lose the hpsp scholarship if you can't pass or gain some extra pounds during your med school years?)

How often do you take the APFT?

Also, what happens in BOLC?

I wanted some clarifications...

How strict are the ht/wt/pt requirements for hpsp students? (AKA Do you lose the hpsp scholarship if you can't pass or gain some extra pounds during your med school years?)

How often do you take the APFT?

Also, what happens in BOLC?

If you do not make height/weight the army is not just going to let you off the hook. They will "make an opportunity" for you to do it. Which essentially means you will be in a holding pattern for several months doing remedial PT until you can pass. This will not be good as it can screw up your residency/fellowship timeline, etc. if you can't pass after several attempts they will bounce you out and recoup all that money from you plus interest, which can amount to 500-600k.

Normally the APFT is taken every six months.

Can we also discuss how useless sit ups, push ups, and a 2 mile run are for assessing physical fitness? The only one that's relatively reasonable, in my opinion, is the run.

OK, but at least with pushups and situps, you are engaged in a physical activity. A fat neck means...well...you are FAT.

Speaking of stupid army things, in my MOS I have noticed everyone with more than 10 years of service has screwed up AC joints and C5-6 disc. Coincidence? Nope. It's the type of PT army forces us to do. Vertebral dissection situps and shoulder destroyer pushups done incorrectly.

OK the responses in this thread about have me peeing my pants from laughter!

Seriously though the PT requirements are not that hard. I am a lard and barely would make tape and I can do the required sit ups, push ups, and run/walk for the 2 miles to meet the Army PT requirements.

Not anymore. If you don't have a recent (within 6 mos. I think) official PASS or some sort of profile, you take it on Day 2 or 3 at Ft. Sam and if you fail you go home.
ABSOLUTE BS! Thanks for trying though. I would guess easily 1/3 of our class failed the Day 3 APFT and everyone laughed it off like, keep trying and we will all get there and receive blue ribbons at the graduation!

ABSOLUTE BS! Thanks for trying though. I would guess easily 1/3 of our class failed the Day 3 APFT and everyone laughed it off like, keep trying and we will all get there and receive blue ribbons at the graduation!
So it is not the end of the world if you can't pass? Or do you have to pass it to remain in HPSP?

So it is not the end of the world if you can't pass? Or do you have to pass it to remain in HPSP?
If you are going directly into active duty you really need to pass it, preferably before you leave BOLC. If you are returning to school I don't know, but many of my classmates did not pass the first one. I would just plan on passing it. You absolutely have to pass them once you go active duty so might as well figure it out now.

I only commented on here to set the record straight so some poor bastard won't be sweating bullets the night before thhe PT test worried that they will automatically fail and be sent home early.