PhD/PsyD Application Deadline...am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melrose8ds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster here! Hoping somebody will be kind enough to acknowledge this if anybody's even out there on this super fun Saturday night.

I'm panicking because I may or may not have just self-sabotaged/disqualified my application.
The deadline was "technically" today. I sent my GRE scores, LOR's and transcripts and payment in a while back, but still have yet to finish and upload my personal statement and resume. (Sparing the details unless anybody needs to feel better about themselves)

I've been in touch with the program administrator over the course of the application process and yesterday, she sent an e-mail about my missing resume. I e-mailed her back to say that I was aware of the missing docs (resume & PS), and asked her if there was an exact time after which I'd be unable to upload...She replied, "I leave the application process open for at least a week after for materials that still need to be sent in, but obviously the sooner the better".

Should I upload them ASAP, OR overnight hard copies via mail when they're done?
Most importantly, will admissions (aside from the program admin) be able to see that I submitted after the deadline? This obviously will not reflect well on me if they even give me a chance. Have I completely screwed myself? I'm assuming they leave the application process open as a courtesy for late transcripts or last minute GRE scores...not the whole meat and potatoes of the app! But I'm hoping she would have mentioned to me if I disqualified myself for review?

And lastly...can anybody give me a swift kick in the butt so I can snap out of it and finish the damn thing already???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sit your butt in your chair and write the thing. Then upload it. If it helps, make a timeline for the next few hours about when you when to have what finished and try your best to focus and meet those goals. If you haven't started yet, write an outline for the structure of the statement. Keep a timer next to you and try to work straight for the entire time you set without any sidetracking or distraction. Start with a manageable period like 15 minutes, then take a 3 min break, but increase that to 25 minutes and also set timers for the very short breaks as well (2-5 min at most), so as to keep them finite.

Good luck to you. Stop with asking yourself any of the other questions for now because they are irrelevant. Think about them after the app is finished and uploaded. And get the heck off this forum and the Internet!

Reactions: 2 users
My take--if the deadline's today, I'd do everything possible to electronically submit them before midnight. If there's an electronic option, it doesn't seem to make much sense to spend the money on overnighting hard copies, even if they're submitted a few days from now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with AA. Electronically submitting tonight is what you should shoot for.

Reactions: 1 user