Application decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moneyline702

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are applying to MD/DO schools (after next cycle). We're looking with great interest at SIU. We also are looking at Baylor and UN Reno. Now here's the caveat. We live in Las Vegas, NV. The easiest choice is UNR as we are NV residents. But get this: she owns a home in Springfield. She was born there, in Sangamon county and graduated from Lanphier HS (go LIONS).

What would it take for us to get a couple of interviews? MCAT scores: Her-33R, myself-35Q. Our GPA's are 3.45 & 3.39 respectively. As of right now we rent and if we get into Reno or Baylor we'd still be renting (a huge financial consideration) whereas living in Springfield in a home that is paid for takes a lot of strain off the mind.

I could really use some help on what direction we should go in. Oh btw, I am from CA and I don't even think of applying to a CA school. I have family in TX (hence looking at those schools) and she has family in IL.

Can anyone give clues as to at least 5-10 places we should be applying? So far I got UN Reno, SIU & Baylor.

Members don't see this ad.

My wife and I are applying to MD/DO schools (after next cycle). We're looking with great interest at SIU. We also are looking at Baylor and UN Reno. Now here's the caveat. We live in Las Vegas, NV. The easiest choice is UNR as we are NV residents. But get this: she owns a home in Springfield. She was born there, in Sangamon county and graduated from Lanphier HS (go LIONS).

What would it take for us to get a couple of interviews? MCAT scores: Her-33R, myself-35Q. Our GPA's are 3.45 & 3.39 respectively. As of right now we rent and if we get into Reno or Baylor we'd still be renting (a huge financial consideration) whereas living in Springfield in a home that is paid for takes a lot of strain off the mind.

I could really use some help on what direction we should go in. Oh btw, I am from CA and I don't even think of applying to a CA school. I have family in TX (hence looking at those schools) and she has family in IL.

Can anyone give clues as to at least 5-10 places we should be applying? So far I got UN Reno, SIU & Baylor.

Why arent' you applying to UNLV and the DO school in NV too? Confused

U of Nevada med school is in Reno. Not Vegas.

The DO school near LV is Touro-Henderson.

As for what to do about SIU, the only advice I have to offer is that if you're going for it, then make sure your Illinois residency claim will hold up. There's no point in even applying to SIU if you don't have rock solid instate status.

Best of luck to you.

Dude, start going for a claim on Illinois residency specifically Springfield. SIU specifically likes residents from the Southern Illinois area. And correct me if im wrong but I am almost 99% certain they don't take ANY OSS.

Good luck!