application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jccalalafc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was thinking, for the people who apply early but for some reason don't get an acceptance, are they just rejected and that's all, or are they put on a waitlist or something like that? it seems sort of unfair that they applied early to improve their chances of getting in, just to see theyre not accepted and people who apply way later still get in? it seems sort of anticlimactic to apply early and if there are no acceptances, its done and theres nothing you can do about it
are there just not enough people applying early and spots are still available, or do you think a good number of people get rejected even early in the process? i know its tough to say exactly, but i just wanted other people's thoughts, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it seems sort of unfair that they applied early to improve their chances of getting in, just to see theyre not accepted and people who apply way later still get in?

Unfair? Sorry, but this isn't high school, nor is acceptance guaranteed by applying early. It simply gives you better odds if you are not as competitive of a candidate. If you apply early and are not qualified, you will get rejected. Be thankful, you will have that much more time to work on your Plan B.

i was thinking, for the people who apply early but for some reason don't get an acceptance, are they just rejected and that's all, or are they put on a waitlist or something like that? it seems sort of unfair that they applied early to improve their chances of getting in, just to see theyre not accepted and people who apply way later still get in? it seems sort of anticlimactic to apply early and if there are no acceptances, its done and theres nothing you can do about it
are there just not enough people applying early and spots are still available, or do you think a good number of people get rejected even early in the process? i know its tough to say exactly, but i just wanted other people's thoughts, thanks

Apply early and you'll find out if you got in or not sooner. Chances of getting in with an early application is always better cus we're on rolling admissions. There are lots of applicants every year so get yours in soon

Members don't see this ad :)
900 students apply for 600 spots. It's essentially an arms race for those students who are at or over the "averages" for GPA and MCAT. Schools will generally take anyone near those numbers early in the cycle. I can tell you that the averages for 2011-2012 application are down compared to years past...so if you already got rejected then yeah, they must have really not liked you. Boom...got the trifecta. The guy with the pixelated surgeon avatar knows what I'm talking about.

How did you averages are down? Im a little skeptical that AACPMAS would release data before the cycle is over?

And OP, it's not unfair. You get accepted or denied based on a merit system, and having your ducks in a row only helps so much. However, you do bring up an interesting topic I don't remember ever hearing about. Do pod schools give waitlists?

Yes there are waiting lists. Best way to find these answers, just call the school.