Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdogu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone who knows about applying to EM residencies and SLOE requirements. If you decide to transfer into EM after completing a PGY1 year that doesn't offer EM rotations, how do you obtain SLOEs? I will have one from medical school but did not think I wanted to do EM until it was way too late. Looking for advice on how to apply to EM without taking the traditional route.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Could you match outside of the match? Sneak away to the ED to shadow when you are off?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is tough. In these situations, you're usually stuck with the LORs that you have. If you can do an EM month in your PGY1 year and get a letter from there, at least that would be something, but I understand in your post that you can't do EM. While you may not get a SLOE, you may be able to get a LOR from an ED doc at the hospital you are at. Maybe work hard and be overly nice when consulting in the ED? Overall, you are in a very, very tough situation without any EM letters.

No- AMG, Step 1 248, Step 2 250. Is it impossible to apply and interview with just one SLOE (from my fourth year rotation)?

Last edited:
good scores, nice job on the steps. Possible? yes. Would another SLOE help a lot, yes. No way you can use an elective? Or maybe sneak away and do a few "shadow" shifts or something at a nearby residency? Another SLOE would help, but I think you should still apply.

Thanks for the reply. I have another letter from an ED doctor when I initially did the rotation at a site that does not have a program. When I realized I liked ED, I went back to our home program to get a SLOE. The problem is that there is no way I can get any more SLOE before graduation and would hate to not be competitive because of this....

Any other advice?