Application Timing (graduating in the fall)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about the timing for my application.

I will be graduating December 2015, after next fall semester. I plan on studying during spring 2016, and taking my MCAT a few months after graduating. (Early May 2016)

I was planning on starting applications after graduating, while studying for the MCAT, then after the MCAT I can submit apps to schools I'll be applying to based on my score. If I take the MCAT in May, then I can submit applications by July (if Early Decision) or September, and be on a good, relatively early schedule for the 2016 cycle? How does this sound to you guys?

Were any of you guys in a similar situation, graduating in the fall rather than the spring? How did you approach it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

well depends if you want to follow the traditional timeline or not. if yes, then when you graduate doesn't really change anything as you would be submitting applications between your junior and senior (last) years.

you could wait until you are done in December of 2015 and then submit your apps June/July of 2016 and have a really great chance if your app is good (since early is so good).

I would suggest taking the MCAT in March or April, whatever you can, so that you'll have a bit of a cushion in case you would need to take it again. This way, even if you had to take it a second time, you could still submit very early vs. getting your scores back at the end of June. Then waiting another month for the next MCAT plus another month for scores means you'll have your app looked at around the end of August maybe.

August << July

Early is always better in this process. Take the MCAT in May, do well, and while you're waiting for your scores, work on your primary. Don't forget to get a couple Letter of Recs from your professors preferably before you graduate.
Primary App includes personal statement, ECs (short paragraph on each), transcripts...check out AMCAS website for more specifics. Submit this preferably the first date, so you get verified early. By the time you are verified, you should have your MCAT scores back, and can add schools accordingly. Good luck OP, and rock the MCAT! Apply in June if possible.

TImeline:
You graduate December 2015>Mcat May 2016>Apps open June 2016>Submit App in June/July> Secondaries complete in July/August>Interviews August-March 2016-2017>Acceptance May 2017>Matriculation August 2017. With this you will have a gap year from January 2016-August 2017 (assuming you get matriculated).

If you don't want the gap year then do everything 1 year earlier if you feel ready.
Mcat May 22 2015(gives you 6 months from now, which is plenty of time)>Submit app June/July 2015>Secondaries July/August 2015>Interviews August-March 2015-2016>Graduate December 2015> Volunteer/shadow January 2015-June 2016>Matriculate August 2016.