Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
amimi said:
It may be a little premature to be considering this, but I've gotten some good (and pretty leading...) feedback from my first choice school about being accepted, but unfortunately nothing concrete yet (hopefully Monday will bring good news...). If this happens, I would consider cancelling my interview this weekend. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time, but then again, my flight is non-refundable (though I haven't checked into any other options like changing the date or location for a fee). Has anyone else had this issue of wanting to cancel an interview but stuck with a plane ticket? I'd be interested to know how people resolved this in case I have to decide pretty quickly what I'm going to do.
Thanks!

I thought about it briefly, for the same reasons, and would have been able to transfer the ticket to another location for a change fee (I think it was $100) but I don't remember the specifics about the ticket.

In the end I went and I am glad I did, because the interviewer said "it was a pleasure talking to you, you will definitely hear from us in a few weeks". I did hear from them in the time frame and it was a rejection!

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

twiggers said:
LOL Jat. At least South Bend has a bunch of small cities close by...plus Lake Michigan right there (I'm a big outdoors person).
Yea...and the sports are better ;-)

haha I suppose so. I always bag on the 'bend cause I had to live there for 4 years as an undergrad. good luck with ND, the dev. program is great.

psychanon said:
I interviewed at Drexel last year....let me know if you have any questions, since you're not going there. I also know a few people who graduated from the program.

Who did you interview with? And if you interviewed there last year, does that mean you go there now?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL Jat. Living anywhere for 4 years sucks :) South Bend sure ain't Chicago, but I've seen worse....at least there's football 6 wks out of the year for entertainment :) And thanks...the program does sound really good.

Flutterbyu said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I have been reading the pages and pages of posts on this thread and I was wondering - did anyone apply to Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology? It's my first choice (I am interviewing this weekend) and I was kind of suprised to not see it mentioned at all.

I know it's a small school, but I met some students there that seem to be from all over the country. Any thoughts/opinions on the rep of the school?

And congrats to all your acceptances! This whole process is starting to drive me a bit out of my mind!!

:luck:

MSPP has a very good reputation. My roommate goes there and has been extremely happy with the professors and supervision. The students are competitive for the best practicum sites in the greater Boston area. Good luck!

If you booked online the fee to change tickets is $100, plus the booking company (ie; Expedia) will charge a fee of around $20-30. If your ticket cost like $400 I'd save it and use it another time (ie; when you move to your new city or something). Or do like I did....still go and then make a mini-vacation out of it (well only if it's located close to a nice big fun city).

I would be very careful about turning down interviews unless you have a definite offer. It doesn't cost you much to go (a few days of your time, a ticket you've already paid for), and you would be very sorry if the other offer doesn't come through. Professors are often very enthusiastic about you and want to keep you interested, and sometimes that can come off as promising an offer when they don't know if they'll be able to give you one or not. Even if you do get an offer, they may not be able to offer you financial aid.

I completely agree. From the vibe and response I got at Temple, I thought I was in for sure. Who knew they could be THAT enthusiastic about a high alternate!? You may as well go to the interview just to see the place. Who knows it may trump your "first" choice!

I totally would go if you don't have a for sure offer. Shoot.....I got an alternate at the crappiest school in America, that was my extreme backup, where I was way above average stats. Never count on anything in this process!
Even the schools where I've been accepted I don't think of it as a guarantee until I've received funding notification, and official notification from the graduate school.
Don't count your eggs before they hatch :)
And hey....if it sucks (like mine did this weekend) think of it as a vacation :)

Oh, I'm certainly not going to turn it down till I get a concrete offer! I was really just hoping to get out of another plane flight--I haven't been home for more than 3 days at a time in the past 3 weeks! Now just to wait till the concrete offers come rolling in... :scared:

psych_hlc said:
MSPP has a very good reputation. My roommate goes there and has been extremely happy with the professors and supervision. The students are competitive for the best practicum sites in the greater Boston area. Good luck!

Thank you! I had my interview this past weekend and it went very well, so hopefully I will be hearing from them soon!

SaraL124 said:
Who did you interview with? And if you interviewed there last year, does that mean you go there now?

No, I go somewhere else (another clinical PhD program).
I interviewed with James Herbert (he was great!). Actually, the way it works at Drexel is that two advisors (primary and secondary), so I was actually also interviewing with Evan Forman.
I don't think you're missing too much by not going to the interview itself, as I thought it was a bit of a cattle call. There were 40 people there, and another 40 to come on the next date!
Overall, I felt that Drexel seemed like a pretty good program. The people that I know who graduated from the program ended up getting great post-docs. I think it's up-and-coming, especially since the Hahnemann/Drexel merger. Definitely ask about the funding situation, as it wasn't great last year. They weren't sure how much they could offer, but they said worst case scenario would be full tuition remission with NO stipend, and the best case would be a stipend of maybe 8k.
They seemed to be strongest in health psych, forensic psych, and clinical neuropsych.
Most of the clinical experience is through externships--they have a small counseling center, but it's not much. Space seemed to be an issue, as is probably common at city programs
I love Philly! I lived there for a few years. The program is mostly at the center city campus, which is right near city hall and accessible from everywhere.

psychanon said:
No, I go somewhere else (another clinical PhD program).
I interviewed with James Herbert (he was great!). Actually, the way it works at Drexel is that two advisors (primary and secondary), so I was actually also interviewing with Evan Forman.
I don't think you're missing too much by not going to the interview itself, as I thought it was a bit of a cattle call. There were 40 people there, and another 40 to come on the next date!
Overall, I felt that Drexel seemed like a pretty good program. The people that I know who graduated from the program ended up getting great post-docs. I think it's up-and-coming, especially since the Hahnemann/Drexel merger. Definitely ask about the funding situation, as it wasn't great last year. They weren't sure how much they could offer, but they said worst case scenario would be full tuition remission with NO stipend, and the best case would be a stipend of maybe 8k.
They seemed to be strongest in health psych, forensic psych, and clinical neuropsych.
Most of the clinical experience is through externships--they have a small counseling center, but it's not much. Space seemed to be an issue, as is probably common at city programs
I love Philly! I lived there for a few years. The program is mostly at the center city campus, which is right near city hall and accessible from everywhere.

Thanks for the info! I had my phone interview today which I think went pretty well. I interviewed with Pamela Geller who specializes in Health Psych with a concetraiton in women's health. It sounded like a great program and the funding was spot-on what you mentioned. That wouldn't be the end of the world though. If I was offered a spot there, I would definitely go to see it before making any decisions.

Thanks for the input though. Do you mind my asking where you go now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, I did it again! ^^^ is from me. Oops!

as an aside, from the two interviews I've been on it seems that the people coming straight out of UG were in the minority. Was that just my experience or have others noticed that as well?

I agree with you Sanman.

On my interview with GWU (Ph.D), I was the youngest there- straight out of undergrad. Everyone else had been out of college working and such for at least a year.

On another note:
I got an acceptance at UT Southwestern Medical Center!
I will be there next year =)

Thanx tiggers!
I hope all of your interviews and final decisions go well.
It'll be great =)

twiggers said:
I totally would go if you don't have a for sure offer. Shoot.....I got an alternate at the crappiest school in America, that was my extreme backup, where I was way above average stats. Never count on anything in this process!
Even the schools where I've been accepted I don't think of it as a guarantee until I've received funding notification, and official notification from the graduate school.
Don't count your eggs before they hatch :)
And hey....if it sucks (like mine did this weekend) think of it as a vacation :)

Do you really think that when they call to make an offer, it is still possible that acceptance from the grad school may not come through? The reason I ask is because a program called me last week and said that I was accepted, that they accepted a smaller class because they wanted to fund everyone. But, that the packages would come out in the next 3 weeks. So, this is my first choice, and I am anxiously waiting to find out what the package is like, so that I can accept and then turn down my other offers/waitslists, etc.

At the time of the interview the students spoke positively about the funding situation and that the faculty make every effort to fund all students. My dilemma now is that I want to accept, but am wary of the financial repercussions if I was to do that before seeing the package. Does anyone have any thoughts?

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO I just got into Notre Dame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twiggers said:
WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO I just got into Notre Dame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is so great! congratulations!! how does it feel???!!!

It feels awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I have to go to school right now which totally sucks....I just wanna dance around my living room wearing my Fighting Irish clothes I bought with the Irish teddy bear I made at Build-A-Bear this weekend (they were my good luck charms lol)
The guy I'm going to be working with told me he is planning on writing another book while I'm there and would be more than happey to have me co-author it with him. A book's gotta look good on a CV :)

Twiggers: Congrats!!!!!!!!! Is this a clinical program or human development?

We are so happy for you!! Are you totally excited????

twiggers said:

CONGRATULATIONS TWIGGERS!! THAT'S AWESOME!! Are you going to accept? :D

congrats twiggers!!!!! That was a developmental program, wasn't it? On another note, I just got another request for a phone interview. So, for those who are getting scared, don't worry yet.

THanks all! I am 99.9% sure I'm going to accept. It was for a developmental program specializing in developmental psychopathology (which was my primary interest from the get-go).
I am going to Purdue on the 24th (its all expense paid) to see what exactly they have to offer, don't want to have any regrets that I didn't explore all of my options. But I'm positive it'll be ND. I really wanted to stick with the psychology PhD, and Purdue is a child development PhD.
The professor I spoke with today asked if ND was my #1 and I said it definitely was. Then another prof called today and my hubby answered and she asked him if ND was my #1 (and of course he said yes). I guess they want to know that because there are probably others waitlisted.

Yippee :)

Anyone out there been accepted at Pepperdine yet?

Got official notice just now from North Dakota that I was accepted. Since there are probably others waiting behind I will be declining on Monday.
At least I can now say that at least 1 clinical program accepted me lol

For anyone interested I thought I would post my experience at my interview at Rosalind's (formerly Finch) clinical psych PhD program. We started out with a morning reception breakfast. They had 450 applicants this year, they interviewed about 30 of us and ultimately they will choose 8 students for this upcoming class. So my odds are now 4:1. At the breakfast the dean talked about the research opportunities and introduced all of the faculty. Then the clinical director explained all of the clinical practicum opportunities. All in all I was really impressed with both the research and the clinical practicum. Following the breakfast we were broken into 2 groups and 1/2 of us started a tour. The Psych department is in a new state of the art building. During the tour we saw the usual (library, cafeteria, etc.) but the 2 most interesting areas where the brain imaging lab where the psych students participate in a variety of fMRI and other brain imaging studies and we also went to the gross anatomy lab where they had prepared several human brains and different cuts of brains for us to look at and examine. This was great. I think that some students were grossed out, but I thought it was great. I guess all the 1st years have a brain anatomy course in the anatomy lab that is pretty "hands on". Also the psych students take several classes with the medical students including an intensive neuroscience course. After the tour my group began our interviews. I had a total of six 30 - 45 minute interviews. I had one interview with the two faculty that I was most interested in working with. I also had and interview with two students that worked with the faculty I had interest in, so a total of four students (two from each faculty member). Then my final interview was with the faculty director, who does not work with individual students in labs but oversees all of the clinical practicum. We had a great lunch in the middle of all the interviews where we were able to mingle with current students and ask questions. The students were great and seemed very happy with the program. They also seemed a little overwhelmed with the level of work they had, which I think is a good sign. At the end of the day we had a final reception where we could talk with all the faculty and current students and the food was great. Then they had a party at a bar in downtown Chicago at 9:30 just for applicants and current students, no faculty attended this party / reception.
The whole day was intense but it was a great opportunity to learn all about the program. I was very impressed. Last year 9 out of 9 students placed in very competitive APA internships. Their post-doc statistics were just as impressive. The program is completely funded in addition to tuition waivers, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships all the students receive impressive stipends. Most students have enough funding to cover all costs of school including modest living expenses. It would be great to not incur any debt. I hope that I get accepted. This program is my 1st choice for sure. They said we should know if we are accepted by the middle of next week.

Just got accepted into my #1 choice- Mass. School of Prof. Psych.

Yeah, yeah, Psy.D, prf. school, I know the rap around here, but it was my top choice overall and I am so happy :)

congrats flutter

I just recieved an acceptance from CUNY queens college neuorpsych program, the clinical track. Anybody have any good info on this program?

Re: RFUMS

I didn't get the same impression about funding as you seem to have (I was also at the interview this weekend). I stayed with a grad student in the city and talked to her and several of her friends, and they all said they had to take out loans (and it didn't seem to be a living in the city vs. living closer to school thing, the housing prices seemed remarkably similar). And that there was only a partial tuition waiver (this was mentioned in the presentation by the dean and in the materials in our folder)--they said this last class had a 75% tution waiver.

Although, hell, you had more scheduled interviews than I had--two profs, and three student interviews. Maybe they're trying to woo you a bit more than me ;)

Overall though I had a really great impression of the program--they definately sold me on it and hopefully we'll both hear some good news this coming week!

CONGRATULATIONS to all have received acceptances!!!!!!!!!

I'm still hangin' on...

winnie said:

I'm still hangin' on...

Aye, waiting to hear back is the pits...at least I have one last interview this week to occupy my mind :p

winnie said:

I'm still hangin' on...

winnie --

where are you waiting to hear back from? good luck to you. i will keep my fingers crossed!!

amimi said:
Re: RFUMS

I didn't get the same impression about funding as you seem to have (I was also at the interview this weekend).
Overall though I had a really great impression of the program--they definately sold me on it and hopefully we'll both hear some good news this coming week!

I should have clarified a little better. I guess it depends on the lab you are accepted to. One student told me that most of the students in Dr. Burns lab get pretty good waivers / stipends that more than pay for the cost of school and books and some living expenses. I think that most students have to take out loans for living expenses and I guess in some cases for the portion of tuition, etc. that is not covered by stipends / waivers. I was so excited about the program I did not clarify. I hope that they were trying to wow me but I think that my interview just worked out that way.

Where are you from? Maybe we met at the interview. I was the one from Cary, IL (northwest suburb) I was on the older side of the applicants (32) also I am a male applicant. Like you said hopefully we get the great news this week!!!!

sunny22 said:
winnie --

where are you waiting to hear back from? good luck to you. i will keep my fingers crossed!!

Thanks. I can use it! You're going to Reno, right? I know someone here who did her undergrad in Reno and LOVED it.

I am waiting to hear from Indiana U of Penn and Duquesne. They are both still interviewing until this coming Friday. IUP said they would decide by the end of March, DU said 1st week of April. I am starting to worry that I narrowed my options unnecessarily by only attending two interviews. It just seemed too impractical for me to go to any others...anyway, what's done is done.

Good luck to you too, Psychologyfiend!

I'm thrilled to anounce that I've been accepted into Wright State's psy.d program. It was the only doctorate program I applied to.

PsyD123 said:
I'm thrilled to anounce that I've been accepted into Wright State's psy.d program. It was the only doctorate program I applied to.

WOOOHOOO Congrats 2 u. How's it feel???? I imagien you must be thrilled since it was the onyl one you applied to and you must have really wanted to go there!!!

hey,
I just got accepted to the virgiinia consrtium PsyD program. They even bumped up my assisstantship a $1000 over what they told me at the interview. I think they really want me to go there. I've been contacted by 3 professors and the program director tried getting a hold of me friday, sunday, and finally today.

WTG Sanman! Is that where you think you'll end up???

I've officially accepted at Purdue and declined the rest of my offers!

Thanks to everyone on these boards, it was really helpful to have a community of people all in the same boat! :)

Good luck to everyone!!

WTg RES!!!!!!!!! I'm heading out there on the 24th to check out the child development program. I can't wait to see it, and then make my definitive decision between Notre Dame and Purdue when I get back.

I still have to check out CUNY and get there financial aid offer. However, it looks like it will definitely be one of those two schools. Of the other PhD programs that I have a shot at, the financial package isn't very promosing or I'm not as happy with the area. Unfortunately I don't know much about the CUNY program, specifically how well/consistantly funded they are or how happy the students are because I was accepted without an interview. I'm going to visit next week, I'll likely make my decision then. The Norfolk Virginia area isn't that expensive, so that is good. Also, because the have 3 academic semsters you finish about a 1 to 1.5 years earlier. I also like the fact that their graduates are able to attain research positions at solid institutions if they so choose. The final issue being that these programs are rather different and I need to decide whether I want a general clinical program w/ a neuropsych concentration or a neuropsych program in a clinical track.

Well good luck with your choice! I'm sure the visit to CUNY will help make your decision easier!

Got my official acceptance from notre dame today :) yeehaw now that it's on paper I can really believe it!
On a sour side....applied for financing for a house today....since we're moving from out of state they want a letter of intent from hubby's employer out there saying he'll be employed within 2 months. Unfortunately...the job out there is not a guarantee (he's spoken to the owner a couple of times, who said it would be very likely he would hire hubby...but if not there were tons of other options once we got settled in). Now we have no choice put to put up 30% down on the house (which we qualify for). I guess it's not so bad....we'll just refinance in a year and use the equity to pay off credit cards.
Ugh ugh ugh

twiggers said:
WOOOHOOO Congrats 2 u. How's it feel???? I imagien you must be thrilled since it was the onyl one you applied to and you must have really wanted to go there!!!

It feels wonderful!!! It definitely was THE school I wanted to go to. I would have applied to other psy.d/ph.d programs, but didn't feel that my GRE scores were competitive, so I just took my chance and applied to my "dream program".
Thank you and much congratulations to you! Sounds like you got into your dream program also! My roomy went to Notre Dame as an undergraduate and loved it!

Thanks psyD!!!!And good luck over the next couple years!

Well CUNY is somewhat different from other programs. It is a neuropsych program that is associated with a clinical program, so you do fulfill the requirements for clinical licensure, but it seems to be with a very heavy emphasis in neuropsych. The curriculum seems indepedent of the research neuropsych or the plain clinical.

twiggers said:
WTg RES!!!!!!!!! I'm heading out there on the 24th to check out the child development program. I can't wait to see it, and then make my definitive decision between Notre Dame and Purdue when I get back.

Thanks Twiggers!! Definitely let me know how it goes and what you decide. If you decide on Purdue it's always nice to have a new buddy :D

Thanks RES! I definitely will :)
Also on a sidenote...don't know if anyone applied here but Missouri-St. Louis just sent me an email telling me that I am a high alternate and they believe they will be able to offer me a spot. she said they're sending me a letter to sign to indicate if I still want to be on the alternate list. I'll be saying no....so if anyone out there is also an alternate for that school good luck :)