Application Workshop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeeQued

UC Davis 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
CKGilabert, Pyxstix and I are hosting an application workshop for the future applicants at our school and I was hoping to get some input on things that you felt would have been helpful to have been informed/helped with during your application process.

So far our the points that I thought would be important were:
Profile of each presenter (Schools they applied/interviewed/accepted/where they are attending, GPA, GRE, animal/veterinary/non animal experiences, etc)
Applicant Time Table = when to submit transcripts, deadlines for applications and supplement, last day for GRE scores, etc (if you have specific deadlines you thought were important please let me know
GRE Suggestions/Tips (Maybe helpful classes/books we used)
Ways to Gain experience in our area
VMCAS Application
Outlining your Personal Statement
Head start programs (CSU vet prep, early admissions opportunities, combined programs)
The Vet School Interview - How to prepare, topics to review, Behavior vs traditional. Sample Questions
Making your decision - things to consider: area, reputation of the school, difference in price (figuring in interest)
Resources : SDN

Any suggestions on points in those areas to clarify our additional topics to cover would be awesome. Ive made up a chart for every school, OOS cost, number of OOS seats, stats, courses required that will be given to everyone attending along with a copy of at least two of our personal statements to use as samples (if anyone here would like to offer theirs up that would be great too). Anything else would you have found helpful??

Thanks
GQ

Members don't see this ad.

Cool idea! Couple of things off the top of my head:

-LORs: Who, when, & how to ask, and helpful etiquette tips (e.g., how to "gently" remind them when the letter's due, sending a T.Y. note after the fact, etc.).

-Signature programs/what different schools are known for (equine, public health, no terminal surgeries, international med--things like that). There was a thread on here about this topic a while back:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=608879&highlight=what+schools+are+known+for

:)

Sounds great - I;m kinda jealous!!

Maybe check out the Dos and DONTs thread and pull some good points from there. Something I had no idea about was also the opportunity for pre-application school visits, perhaps mention this? Also, within your timeline of applying section, point out the fact that many schools have long, time intensive supplememtal apps, so plan accordingly. Trying to think what else would have helped...oh maybe give a general idea of when they should expect to hear back from schools. I would also try to emphasize the specifics for your IS school as most likely a large number will definitely be applying there!

You should totally post the materials you make up here on SDN for the next round of application sufferers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try and get everything posted when its all complete, hopefully lessen the pain we all went through for 2014'ers

I would definitely discuss undergrad course decisions: what to take and when; best places to take pre-req courses (like NOT at a junior college), and also maybe for those who have applied already and been rejected you can do one-on-one analysis of their application and how they can improve it (like picking post-bacc courses, re-take GRE, re-write PS, etc.)

Thanks, I included a list of classes additional to our course list (we have a specific pre-vet program designed to meet majority of the qualifications) that they should take.

Ive made a packet for those who come (others will be able to purchase a similar CD if they don't come as a fundraiser for the club). So far the packet includes

• A Calender with all major deadlines and suggest early turn in dates
  • Vet School Apps Do's and Don'ts
  • VMCAS Checklist
  • A more indepth Check list I made
  • VMCAS Fact Sheet
  • School Stats (Tuition #OOS, Course Reqs) in a chart
  • School Transfer List
  • List of Schools Strong Programs
  • Individual School Flyers (VMCAS ones)
  • GRE Info (Where to register at, Helpful books, Classes recommended)
  • LOR Sample (One of mine sent me mine when they were done, helps cause I didn't know what they would have asked)
  • Personal Statement Do's and Donts
  • Sample Personal Statement (About 4 or 5 different styles, ones that others have written and offered to be included)
  • A Fatty Packet of all my interview questions plus others I researched along with some that I got off here and organized.
Look good to everyone?? This will all be in a packet handed out and some will be on a CD (Didnt want to use others PS for something that a club will be making a profit on eventhough they offered the)

If something looks missing or you have a great Idea for the packet. Im gonna label the front like Vet School Apps Survival Guide

Can you tell I have WAY to much time on my hands????

Maybe you could include the comparison of alternatives to invasive/terminal surgery chart (courtesy of Marsala in the "Terminal surgeries?" thread)? A "What if I don't get in this year?" questionnaire-type sheet might be useful, too. Something along the lines of:

What if I don't get in this year?
Don't be discouraged! Not everyone gets in on their first, second, etc. try.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances for next year?
Call or email the school(s) that you were rejected from and see if you can set up a file review. File reviews...

And so on, or in whatever format you think would work best.

Once its all done I can try scanning it and posting one or emailing the files. I have to have it all complete by Wednesday. Most the stuff is all from here or the VMCAS site.

OMG i totally want one of those packets too!
too bad the pre-vet club at m school isn't pro-active like you are!

I was also going to include a budget, Is there anything that seems missing??

Attachments

• App Budget.xls
    17 KB · Views: 101
I was also going to include a budget, Is there anything that seems missing??

Looks good, and not to nitpick - but you might want to check your spelling of 'Deposit'.

What about campus resources for things like mock interviews (don't know if your school does that)? Are you going to go over proper interview attire, etc. or have some later interview workshop?

Thanks, apparently I fail at spelling :D

Yep I was going to go over the mock interviews our career center offers, I didn't do them but wish I had because I think they would have gotten me over some of the nervousness. At our school they do it like a real interview, you have to dress up and all and then they video you and the counselor goes over everything.

If anyone wants a packet when I'm done let me know Im hoping It'll be scanned. Just PM me so I'll have an easy place to check. Most of the stuff, data charts, etc are from SDN after searching some of the old topics earlier in our app cycle so I used those, made some of my own, and then used VMCAS/AAVMC. Its just nice having everything all together in one packet.

Hey GeeQued,
I don't know if it would help, but I am more than happy to send you my stuff for a non-trad atudent application. Heck it got me into 4 schools out of the six I applied to, with a 3.4 undergrad GPA. You can use it for the packets you are handing out. I trust you since we were almost classmates. :D

I would love that!! Would you mind emailing it to me? My email is [email protected]

Also for those following on, I made a checklist, it AIMs at getting stuff done early (so you can go to Vegas your final weekend like I did, yet my application wasn't done yet :D)

Any comments/spelling corrections/etc are always greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Application Checklist.doc
    36 KB · Views: 132
this stuff is really cool. it's really awesome that you're doing this. i dont think the students realize how grateful they should be. i wish i could be there watching them crap their pants about how much work it is. LOL

this stuff is really cool. it's really awesome that you're doing this. i dont think the students realize how grateful they should be. i wish i could be there watching them crap their pants about how much work it is. LOL

Im nervous for it! Cause its just gonna be me now since Sabrina cant do it. :confused:

This is amazing! I was only expecting about 10 pages, but holy crap! I have definitely saved it and will no doubt be referring back to it a lot in the next few years! Thanks so much for putting this together!

Im nervous for it! Cause its just gonna be me now since Sabrina cant do it. :confused:

awww!!! i'll try to finish my lab quick, but i still dont think i'll finish within an hour :(

if you could tell the story of my orientation day, when dr. matsushima was saying that none of us were going to get into vet school....THEN dr. fonda said "well, i still believe in the easter bunny and santa claus, thats why i think you'll get into vet school". :(

I laugh at it now, only cuz i got into something. LOL. but i really felt like crap when he said that. my advisors at junior college told me that they were just trying to motivate me.

why can't sabrina go now? that really sucks. it would've been good for all of us to do it since you got in state, sabrina got out of the country, and i got into that program. then everyone could ask questions from 3 different people and hear from 3 different point of views.

oh well, you can post my email address and people can ask me questions. i bet people will feel a little motivated when they see my gpa and gre score. lol

This is an excellent idea! I'm incredibly glad that you included a budget for the application process, as this was the area I was least prepared for when I applied, especially with regard to non-travel things like clothing and food.

I also had unexpected purchases when it came to preparing for a Midwestern winter, since I live in Florida, and that all factored in to the total cost of my application cycle, so perhaps that could be included?