Applied during 2020 COVID Cycle (w/out MCAT): Okay to re-use secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Goro

Hi guys,

As a CA applicant, I initially submitted my application to a number of DO schools in June 2020, without taking the MCAT, because many schools said they'd offer interviews and conditional acceptances without the latter score. I actually even gained an acceptance to Touro CA in July; however, sadly, though I planned on taking my MCAT in September 2020, I was unable to take it due to personal circumstances (grandfather's death) and so I didn't end up paying my December deposit for the school. Accordingly, they probably felt that I declined the school acceptance.

I have a two part question:

1.) I will be applying this cycle with an MCAT score, so is it worth it for me to apply to Touro CA again? Will they understand that even though I was accepted before, because I wasn't able to take my MCAT in september (grandfather's death), I didn't pay my deposit to hold my spot in December?

2.) I also applied to a number of DO schools (KCU, Western, PCOM, DMU) in June 2020, with the same intention of having them look at my app without an MCAT, however, I didn't receive interview invites for these schools. Though I consider myself a good applicant, I presume that it's because I didn't have an MCAT score on file and these are highly competitive schools... Would it be okay if I re-use my secondary responses for these schools, for this upcoming cycle? I thought that they were very comprehensive.

I hope I was clear!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1.) I will be applying this cycle with an MCAT score, so is it worth it for me to apply to Touro CA again? Will they understand that even though I was accepted before, because I wasn't able to take my MCAT in september (grandfather's death), I didn't pay my deposit to hold my spot in December?
Yes. There might a prompt on if you applied or were accepted previously (some med school do this), and so it's worth a shot.
2.) I also applied to a number of DO schools (KCU, Western, PCOM, DMU) in June 2020, with the same intention of having them look at my app without an MCAT, however, I didn't receive interview invites for these schools. Though I consider myself a good applicant, I presume that it's because I didn't have an MCAT score on file and these are highly competitive schools... Would it be okay if I re-use my secondary responses for these schools, for this upcoming cycle? I thought that they were very comprehensive.
You can find a way to tweak them so that they're not 100% identical to the previous apps. No need for a full rewrite.

Reactions: 1 users
If the acceptance was conditional to an MCAT score, you could be reapply with a reason why you couldn't accept the offer, so ask and explain to them. (That said, I would have had you consider deferral but that is now a moot point.)