applied in june, dat first week of september too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthworkhard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in june so everything is verified for me, I have close to a 3.6 overall GPA and around 3.5 science GPA. Im non traditional student and speaking to admissions at a state school she said my app looks great. Im waiting on taking my DAT In September within the first 2 weeks of sep? is that too late?...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, that might be getting late. If you take it first week of Sept, your scores will be official/added to your app around the end of Sept, and taking it the second week of Sept pushes it back to the beginning of October. Only when your scores are officialized will your app be complete. Then, schools will have to review it for a few weeks before sending you an interview invite. By this time, most/all pre-Dec interviews will have been filled up, so you'd be interviewing after Dec 3rd*. The trouble with this is that since Dec 5th is the first day schools start accepting applicants, their classes will start to fill up, sometimes quickly. There are a few schools who only interview until the end of Nov, and fill their class up on Dec 3rd* and are done with the cycle. The schools that interview after Dec have either a few seats left OR they might start interviewing for waitlist spots.

All of this gets tricker if you score average (~20), and you may have to reapply next cycle. If you score really high (~>24), you might be able to offset the lateness of your app with it. Since you've already applied and paid your secondaries, focus on taking the DAT as soon as you can, and scoring as high as you can. Then, just see how the cycle goes, and be prepared to reapply next cycle should you need to do so. I know this was a long post, but good luck!

EDIT: Also, looking through your past posts, are you sure you want to pursue dentistry ? " I worked in a dental office the past year I did not like it" it's only going to get worse if this is the case....

* EDIT pt 2: First day for offers is Dec 3rd, 2018.

Last edited:
Yeah, that might be getting late. If you take it first week of Sept, your scores will be official/added to your app around the end of Sept, and taking it the second week of Sept pushes it back to the beginning of October. Only when your scores are officialized will your app be complete. Then, schools will have to review it for a few weeks before sending you an interview invite. By this time, most/all pre-Dec interviews will have been filled up, so you'd be interviewing after Dec 5th. The trouble with this is that since Dec 5th is the first day schools start accepting applicants, their classes will start to fill up, sometimes quickly. There are a few schools who only interview until the end of Nov, and fill their class up on Dec 5th and are done with the cycle. The schools that interview after Dec have either a few seats left OR they might start interviewing for waitlist spots.

All of this gets tricker if you score average (~20), and you may have to reapply next cycle. If you score really high (~>24), you might be able to offset the lateness of your app with it. Since you've already applied and paid your secondaries, focus on taking the DAT as soon as you can, and scoring as high as you can. Then, just see how the cycle goes, and be prepared to reapply next cycle should you need to do so. I know this was a long post, but good luck!

EDIT: Also, looking through your past posts, are you sure you want to pursue dentistry ? " I worked in a dental office the past year I did not like it" it's only going to get worse if this is the case....
thank you for your input that makes sense, yes since i last posted, other circumstances came up and I do like dentistry a lot now and its my only focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
While applying earlier is great and all, really you just need to get a competitive application in before they stop offering interview invites. Get a competitive dat score and since you already have everything else in you wont have to worry about juggling letters of rec last minute, etc. A huge benefit of getting your application completed later in the cycle is not having to wait as long to find out if you're in lmao.

Some schools keep around 20% of their class unfilled for post-Dec invites, so you might have a chance.