Applied very late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glazki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to OD schools 2/20/12. My transcripts were sent out the following day. I know that was not the wisest decision, but my previous semester was very rocky and I was considering not applying at all because my chances were low. I have a 2.9 overall GPA, 310 TS/ 320 AA OAT and five years of experience, including working as a vision therapy tech, ophthalmic tech, and volunteer work. Am I completely screwed?:(

Members don't see this ad.

What schools? What was your science GPA? Was there an upturn in GPA? From a university or state school/community college?

Science is about the same. I went to a 4 year university. Didn't put as much time into my studies as I should have because I worked/work 2 jobs so my grades are all over the place. I applied to SUNY, NECO, MCPHS, PCO, NOVA, and ICO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Science is about the same. I went to a 4 year university. Didn't put as much time into my studies as I should have because I worked/work 2 jobs so my grades are all over the place. I applied to SUNY, NECO, MCPHS, PCO, NOVA, and ICO.

MCPHS, PCO might get really lucky...I'd apply to IAUPR as well just in case unless you'd rather wait a year to improve your stats or go in early next cycle.

I applied to OD schools 2/20/12. My transcripts were sent out the following day. I know that was not the wisest decision, but my previous semester was very rocky and I was considering not applying at all because my chances were low. I have a 2.9 overall GPA, 310 TS/ 320 AA OAT and five years of experience, including working as a vision therapy tech, ophthalmic tech, and volunteer work. Am I completely screwed?:(

It takes OptomCAS 4-6 weeks during this time to calculate your GPA and then submit it to the schools. I had my transcripts in my application first and then I had it shipped out couple days before yours, so I'm still waiting for OptomCAS to add everything up. Just have faith in god, and keep praying, you should be okay for PCO, IAUPR and that new school MCPHS.

I'm going to disagree with probably PCO - I know people who are already being waitlisted with PCO - and with those stats, I think it really all depends on how you do on the interview if you get called in for one.

I'm going to disagree with probably PCO - I know people who are already being waitlisted with PCO - and with those stats, I think it really all depends on how you do on the interview if you get called in for one.

is it true that PCO called everyone for an interview this year?

can you be accepted but waitlisted at the same time?

If you applied early (probably till dec), then GPA2.9 maybe okay for most of schools. I know NECO considers GPA2.9, and PCO and NOVA for sure. But since you are applying late, your chance has significantly decreased to the point that you may have to apply again next year. You are going to have to put an extra effort for this cycle. But later in May,June, you might get lucky cuz some people drop last minutes. That's why PCO had 162 students for 2011-2012 year, even though the max seat is 168. But try the schools that has deadline till April, June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Application deadline for PCO is 03/31/12, so they will review applications until that date, and if they feel that they like you, they will call you for an interview. Just hold on tight and keep praying, it's just another unknown.

You are not screwed. I'm not sure if other schools are still accepting students, but IAUPR is for sure. I got accepted into opt school early last May. So, it's not late! :)

You are not screwed. I'm not sure if other schools are still accepting students, but IAUPR is for sure. I got accepted into opt school early last May. So, it's not late! :)

Which school are you attending and stats?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank :)

Why dont you apply to UIW?

I just tried to keep it east coast so I'm not too far from home. After optomcas calculations and all that, PCO sent me an email that they received my application on 03/14/12. Haven't heard anything else since, any idea how long it takes to hear back about the interview ?

I just tried to keep it east coast so I'm not too far from home. After optomcas calculations and all that, PCO sent me an email that they received my application on 03/14/12. Haven't heard anything else since, any idea how long it takes to hear back about the interview ?

What were your stats?

What were your stats?

They're at the top, I started the thread :) I remember you mentioning that you sent yours not too long before mine. Any news?

They're at the top, I started the thread :) I remember you mentioning that you sent yours not too long before mine. Any news?

I received the same email as yours. They are waiting for my oat scores. I have it in 2 weeks.

I have the same stats as you, applied about a month before you did and just got accepted to ICO last week. I would advise waiting for next cycle to get the school of your choice instead of picking whatever is left.

I have the same stats as you, applied about a month before you did and just got accepted to ICO last week. I would advise waiting for next cycle to get the school of your choice instead of picking whatever is left.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Where else did you apply/ interview/ get accepted to? It's so nerve racking since I only heard back from SUNY which was a big fat no, no surprises there though :/

OATACER: Did you takeyour OAT yet? How did it go? Where did you decide to go to school?

Last edited:
OATACER: Did you takeyour OAT yet? How did it go? Where did you decide to go to school?

I deferred my OAT until the end of the month. Praying for the best. How about you?