Apply again consecutively this year or wait until 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caliente Pocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

So I was hoping to get your guys' opinion on whether or not to reapply again this year or wait until 2015.

I completed about ~28 secondaries last summer and got 7 interviews. Currently 5 waitlists, 1 rejection, and 1 still waiting on.

Applied with a 3.79 GPA (3.70 science) with a 34 on the MCAT. Had some pretty good research in undergrad and continue to volunteer and do martial arts. I also scribe in an ER and got a leadership position with that about a month after submitting primaries.

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on applying again this year, despite still being on waitlists and not having anything completely new to add to my app (aside from having more leadership experience as a scribe and helping to set up a new EMR for my hospital). I know I'd obviously have to change my personal statement, and get some new letters, but I really don't know how much more I could get done if I wait another year(obviously there's always more to add...but does that extra weight justify an entire year?). I'll definitely continue to work, volunteer, etc. Basically, I was wondering if not doing anything totally new and drastic would be frowned upon by medical schools. If it makes any difference, I would probably be doing my same job, but at a completely different hospital beginning in May/June.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for reading guys and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

With that many interviews, and with a great packet, your problem is either a huge red flag in the app (like a bad LOR) OR your interview skills.

Do not reapply and think that things will magically get better...a couple of new LORs are probably not going to do that assuming you don't have a bad LOR, you have to fix those deficits.

Contact the Admissions deans at the schools that rejected you and ask for feedback (not advice on applying). In the mean time, I suggest working on your interview skills.

Hey SDN!

So I was hoping to get your guys' opinion on whether or not to reapply again this year or wait until 2015.

I completed about ~28 secondaries last summer and got 7 interviews. Currently 5 waitlists, 1 rejection, and 1 still waiting on.

Applied with a 3.79 GPA (3.70 science) with a 34 on the MCAT. Had some pretty good research in undergrad and continue to volunteer and do martial arts. I also scribe in an ER and got a leadership position with that about a month after submitting primaries.

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on applying again this year, despite still being on waitlists and not having anything completely new to add to my app (aside from having more leadership experience as a scribe and helping to set up a new EMR for my hospital). I know I'd obviously have to change my personal statement, and get some new letters, but I really don't know how much more I could get done if I wait another year(obviously there's always more to add...but does that extra weight justify an entire year?). I'll definitely continue to work, volunteer, etc. Basically, I was wondering if not doing anything totally new and drastic would be frowned upon by medical schools. If it makes any difference, I would probably be doing my same job, but at a completely different hospital beginning in May/June.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for reading guys and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Would you contact schools that rejected me without an interview? Also, would contacting the 5 schools I'm wait-listed at be appropriate? Thanks Goro!

A rejection immediately after an interview shows poor interview skills. Hopefully you got that vibe and improved on your others. You can send in updates and LOI to those wait-list schools but do not ask them for feed backs since they might still consider you. Good luck with that one school you are waiting on.