Apply again this cycle or wait a year to improve more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlparty88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would be very grateful for advice on my application. I am a non-traditional applicant - I graduated from a top-UC in 2012 and am a California resident, white female.

My GPA is my weakspot: 3.42 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA. I took the old MCAT in January of 2015 and received a 28, took the new MCAT in April of 2015 and received a 509 (well balanced, psych a little lower). I was working full-time doing clinical research at UCSF while studying for both exams and it was very difficult to balance. Furthermore, I only had a few months in between exams to study for the new psych section, so I definitely think with more time I could improve.

I wish I would have waited another year to apply, but instead I rushed to apply since I've already been out of school for so long. I didn't apply broadly at all and only to MD schools, and received 0 interviews. I'm on pre-interview hold at one school. I also made the mistake of applying to way too many OOS public schools.

Besides my GPA, there were other weak spots in my application. I submitted it late – early July. My PS could have been more focused towards my future career goals, and I feel like my application as a whole could have been way more fine-tuned if I had more time to work on it. I was focused on studying for the MCAT until I took it in April, and with working full-time I didn't have enough time to put together a stellar application. If I was to apply this cycle, I believe I could improve upon all of my weak points, with the exception of my GPA. I also believe my secondaries could have been improved.

Changes from previous application:
A paper I submitted with the PI I work for has been accepted in a top-tier genetics journal (Impact Factor: 11.202) and is currently in press, expected publication in May. The paper is a clinical research paper describing a new gene/syndrome, and is completely in line with my career goals (neurogenetics). Since joining the lab, I have been in a leadership role and manage a team of undergraduate RAs. I also was promoted to lead-CRC of my lab at the end of 2015 when our project manager left, so I now manage other CRCs as well. Teaching/mentorship is one of my passions, and I plan to highlight this more when applying again.

Clinical Experience:
-While studying abroad in Italy, volunteered in a pediatric clinic for rare genetic diseases
-Interned for two years UCSF while still an undergrad
-2012-present, have been working full-time as a clinical research coordinator at UCSF. I have extensive clinical experience, working directly with patients/clinicians, etc.

Nonclinical Service:
Past:
-Volunteered as a mentor for middle school students for 1 year.
-Was then promoted to program coordinator of the mentorship program, so I was responsible for managing a team of other undergraduate mentors, creating lesson plans, and running the after-school program with a class of middle school students. This was a part-time job where I worked 20-25 hr/week.
-Also worked as a note-taker for a science course at my school.
Current:
-Tutoring children in reading (2hr/wk for the last 1.5 yr)

Shadowing:
-I have ample experience shadowing but only in the field of neurology/psychology/genetics
-Shadowing my PI (a LOT of hours, I do this pretty often because I enroll patients directly into our studies in clinic)
-Shadowing other clinicians at UCSF I have gotten to know since working here.

Research:
Past:
-Interned in a clinical neuroscience lab at my undergraduate school, 2 years.
-Volunteered at UCSF in a clinical research lab while in undergraduate.
Current:
As mentioned, I work full-time doing research – has led to one first-author (see above) and one middle-author publication. One more publication I am a middle-author is under review. There is great potential for a few more publications in the next year.

LOR:
-Great, UCSF colleagues/mentors and undergraduate employer. I don't have any from my science professors, mainly because it has been awhile since I've been in contact with them.

ADVICE NEEDED!

That being said, I’m unsure if I should apply again now or wait and apply again next cycle. Are my improvements (first author pub and job promotion) enough for medical schools, or do I need to do more?

Although I am extremely anxious to go back to school, I also a open to taking another year to really improve my application and aim for even higher-tier schools. Next time I apply I will add DO schools, although I would rather attend an allopathic school. If I were to apply again next cycle, that would give me time to take the MCAT again and aim for a really great score which I think I can achieve with more time to study the new sections. I also would be able to re-take some science courses at a local college or do a post-bacc at UCBx (although I have heard bad things from this program so am learning towards taking informal classes to raise my GPA). Would you recommend a formal post-bacc or SMP for my situation?

If I was to wait another year to apply – which parts of my application could be improved? Although I have a lot of clinical exposure in my current job, I’m considering looking into clinical volunteering positions at a free clinic or something of that nature. Should I gain more non-clinical volunteer experience besides working as reading tutor? Although I already have a lot of shadowing hours, would it be helpful to shadow physicians outside my field of interest?

If I was to apply again in June, I would aim to get my application in right on time and wouldn't be as rushed as I was last cycle. With my research experience, do you think I should focus heavily on research-based schools? Particularly, I've been eyeing programs with MD/MS clinical research since I hope to continue this path once in school (will highlight this in my PS).

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

- Your GPA and MCAT are lower on the spectrum, but not debilitating. Retaking for a third time really won't help unless you to tremendously well... but you have the same likelihood of that as you do getting a score lower than 509...

- What non-research based clinical exposure do you have? Everything has a research lean to it. I saw patients in my research (oncology) but that was very different than when I was volunteering in ER or OB.

- If you have no LORs from your science profs, get them. Schools want them because they can successfully communicate how you are in the classroom and how you handle academic strain. Colleagues and Mentors are biased by nature. If you do 5-6 LORs, 3 should be from faculty.

- Who did you get to read your PS? Mom/Dad, friends? I would really evaluate that part. Some things I kept in mind when re-writing my statement the second time:
- Is there anything memorable that makes me stand out? This could be an anecdote, novel introduction, etc. Don't get gimmicky, but realize they will probably only read this once
- How do my ECs relate to the narrative I'm telling? For example, my bench research in hem/onc was one of my "most memorable" ECs. I discuss my dad being a cancer survivor which is why i picked that lab. Obviously, that's uber specific and on the nose, but the point is to make sure that the reviewer sees that you're not just doing things to check off boxes, but that they were guided by your past or have influenced and reinforced your future pursuits.
- Did I ramble about the specifics? You have a limited character count and if you get all Dickensian about the details, it's no longer about you, but about the story.
- Finally, what question are you answering? Why Do I want to be a Doctor? Why will I be a successful doctor? etc

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Well you definitely will want LORs from faculty and teachers who taught you.

Youll be fine for DO programs. It sounds like you might be from CA which obviously makes this harder not really having state schools.

The GPA is 1 SD below MD matriculants and youve taken the MCAT twice and your highest score is still <average for MD schools. Given that and the fact you are a reapplicant if MD is the end goal I think an SMP is something that has to be really considered. Unfortunately these days the unofficial "linkage" at programs that you would be a good fit at like RFU is going down but I still think that is likely your best shot at getting into an MD school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input everyone!

I've decided I'm going to wait a year to apply again so I can build my application. Why do you suggest SMP over post-bacc or informal post-bacc for improving my GPA? On the other hand, if I am interested in obtaining a Masters degree in a field I'm interested, rather than an SMP, how do you think this would help? I've very interested in Masters in Genetics Programs, like the one at Tulane. I understand this won't improve my GPA, but would this be sufficient in terms of showing the "upward trend" that ADCOMS look for? I've also been leaning towards informal post-bacc due the financial burden of an SMP or others Masters programs. I can then continue to work-full time while re-taking undergrad classes.

Also, do you not suggest taking the MCAT again since it will be too risky if I do poorly than a 509?

In terms of non-research based clinical exposure, I have shadowing many UCSF clinicians outside of my research role. I have been in the hospital setting a lot, but I think my application would benefit from some other sort of clinical volunteering. I've been hard pressed to find something that is weekend-only or after work hours where I can get real clinical experience. Most of the free-clinics around here only have administrative volunteer work which I'm not sure would benefit me. I'm still looking into this and am hoping to start something soon that I can continue for the next year.

For my PS, I had my colleagues and peers read it. Like I said, it could have been better and I have a good idea about how to link together my ECs and future career goals to make me stand out.

Last edited: