Apply before or after MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immoore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered, but I'm still a little fuzzy on this topic. I am taking the new MCAT in May, and I took the old one in 2013. I scored a 28 on the old one (8/11/9). I am a re-applicant, and I am not sure whether I should submit my app before or after receiving the new scores. My undergrad GPA was a 3.35 sGPA/3.5 cGPA (upward trend in the sciences after a 2.0 freshman year, I only took one class and did poorly). I entered an M.S. molecular bio program since I wanted to gain some research experience (for myself, not for my app). I have over 800 hours as an NA at a hospital and over 800 hours as a rehab assistant. I am hoping to have around a 3.5 in the MS program when I apply (yeah I know the GPA gets inflated so it won't really help). I've been working on my thesis and working as a TA. I have a much better personal statement and much better letters of rec. I have improved my app a lot, but I still want to apply early to give myself a better chance. Is it worth waiting the extra couple weeks for the MCAT score before submitting, or should I still submit the first day possible to give myself a better shot. I'm from Michigan and am applying to all schools in Michigan, Toledo, Dayton, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and whatever other ones I feel competitive at. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.