Apply now, later, or not at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmatt2c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

My story is kind of long and complex, but I am curious on some feedback for this particular situation. Essentially, I started out my collegiate career in music at a school in California. My first semester was great, but my second semester was very bad (I received 2 D's and 3 WU's, which is an unauthorized withdrawal). That semester was difficult for me because my mother had passed away, and I was left to take care of many familial issues, including the sale of my childhood home. after that semester, I received nothing but A's and B's, and switched my major to Athletic Training.

From there, I decided to transfer to Penn State, switched my major to Biology, and have a competitive GPA (about a 3.8 after this semester). I will be receiving my degree from Penn State next year. I plan to take my MCATS this summer, and apply for the fall of next year. My questions are these:

Because of that one semester, will schools even open my file?

Is having everything in by June except my MCAT scores too late? (I know that schools probably won't look at my file until the see those scores, which wouldn't be until September. Is this still too late?)

Should I try for an MD program?

Should I explain in my personal statement why I did so poorly that semester? A lot of my other pre-med friends are telling me to not even mention it.

I have extracurriculars done, such as volunteer work at my local hospital, and being the Vice-President of the Pre-medicine club on my campus. Any insight into this situation would be very appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't a reapplicant issue. Yet.

Your premed friends don't know any more than you do. Prioritize accordingly.

1 semester doesn't matter. Every school has a question about "academic anomalies" where you can humbly explain what you learned. The actual reason doesn't matter much, and you're not helped at all if it's something that normally happens to people in life, like sickness and death. Things happen in med school too. Go with "i was young and stupid".

A September MCAT score is good for the following year's app. That's way too late for the app season in progress. Total waste of time and effort and MONEY. If somebody advised you to take the MCAT that late, don't take any more advice from that source. You can either accept that your MCAT test date is for next year's app, or you can try to take the MCAT sooner (probably a mistake, it's already May), or you can pretend it won't matter...and then we'll see you here this time next year.

You need to know what your cumulative GPAs are. With more than one transcript you'd do well to spreadsheet it out. Any GPA listed on a transcript is completely ignored. You should start up an AMCAS app to see what's expected of you. The AMCAS instructions on coursework categorization & GPA calcs are required reading.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the information. So, you don't think I should mention my mothers passing? I was going to write about it because it was what go me interested in becoming a doctor. And applying in the fall of next year is too soon I'm assuming?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course they will. You've shown that you can hand;e a medical school curriculum. Adcoms like rising trends.

No. But getting in the scores by Sept will probably be too late.
Is having everything in by June except my MCAT scores too late? (I know that schools probably won't look at my file until the see those scores, which wouldn't be until September. Is this still too late?)

Depends upon the MCAT. i suggest that it might be worth waiting until next app cycle. I firmly beleive applying with the best possible package, even if it means sitting out a year. med schools aren't going anywhere.

No. A PS is for answering "Who am I?" and "Why Medicine?'
Should I explain in my personal statement why I did so poorly that semester? A lot of my other pre-med friends are telling me to not even mention it.

Save this for secondaries and interviews.

Thank you for the information. So, you don't think I should mention my mothers passing? I was going to write about it because it was what go me interested in becoming a doctor.

Good luck next year!
I have extracurriculars done, such as volunteer work at my local hospital, and being the Vice-President of the Pre-medicine club on my campus. Any insight into this situation would be very appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read![/QUOTE]

Of course they will. You've shown that you can hand;e a medical school curriculum. Adcoms like rising trends.

No. But getting in the scores by Sept will probably be too late.

Depends upon the MCAT. i suggest that it might be worth waiting until next app cycle. I firmly beleive applying with the best possible package, even if it means sitting out a year. med schools aren't going anywhere.

No. A PS is for answering "Who am I?" and "Why Medicine?'

Save this for secondaries and interviews.

Thank you for the information. So, you don't think I should mention my mothers passing? I was going to write about it because it was what go me interested in becoming a doctor.

Good luck next year!
I have extracurriculars done, such as volunteer work at my local hospital, and being the Vice-President of the Pre-medicine club on my campus. Any insight into this situation would be very appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read!
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it. I have a follow up question for you. My cumulative GPA looks like it will be a 3.53-3.58 by the time I apply, and my science GPA will be about a 3.78-3.80 by the time I apply. Combined with my EC's, which include volunteer work and shadowing, and a good MCAT score, am I a competitive applicant for an MD program? Thank you again for your time.

Yup. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Your cGPA is a tad below avg., but the sGPA makes up for that.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it. I have a follow up question for you. My cumulative GPA looks like it will be a 3.53-3.58 by the time I apply, and my science GPA will be about a 3.78-3.80 by the time I apply. Combined with my EC's, which include volunteer work and shadowing, and a good MCAT score, am I a competitive applicant for an MD program? Thank you again for your time.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Your cGPA is a tad below avg., but the sGPA makes up for that.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it. I have a follow up question for you. My cumulative GPA looks like it will be a 3.53-3.58 by the time I apply, and my science GPA will be about a 3.78-3.80 by the time I apply. Combined with my EC's, which include volunteer work and shadowing, and a good MCAT score, am I a competitive applicant for an MD program? Thank you again for your time.
[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks!! Sorry, but I just have one more question. If I apply next year, my graduating cGPA should be closer to a 3.6 and my science should be relatively high. With a good MCAT score, would I be able to go receive admission to a school such as Thomas Jefferson University?

Yes!
Ok thanks!! Sorry, but I just have one more question. If I apply next year, my graduating cGPA should be closer to a 3.6 and my science should be relatively high. With a good MCAT score, would I be able to go receive admission to a school such as Thomas Jefferson University?[/QUOTE]