Apply now or wait until next cycle??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrsSheperd

Let's do this!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello you wonderful people!! :) I'm asking for my dear friend who decided to go to dental school instead of medical school:

We saw that the app cycle opens in just a few days. She has everything ready except for the DAT (which she will take this summer) and shadowing a dentist. She already found someone she can shadow, but the question is how many shadowing hours are acceptable? We're looking for a second doctor she can shadow to have a broader experience. Also, if you apply to take the DAT, how long does it usually take to get approval?

We have been studying for the MCAT together all this time, so we're thinking that she should have most material down by now...except for the PA and QR sections as well as additional bio content.

So all in all: are we wrong if we assume that ECs, pre-requisites and GPA requirements for dental should be quite similar to those for medical school? Does it come off too rushed to apply this cycle? She is trying to get into UNC as an IS applicant (has been living here for 3 years now).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this question is asked way too much, but what encouraged her to switch to dentistry if she hasn't shadowed the field?

I feel like this question is asked way too much, but what encouraged her to switch to dentistry if she hasn't shadowed the field?

That is a good question! Well, she does want to stay in the medical field but says she can't handle the MD stress on the job. (Long hours, emotional stress, uncertainty with residency etc ) She is a crafty person and loves people..so it seems like it'll be a good alternative. Shadowing starts next week but she seems to have her heart set on it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
tell your "friend" to wait and to use this next year to get a better idea about the profession and what it takes to get into school.

tell your "friend" to wait and to use this next year to get a better idea about the profession and what it takes to get into school.
totally agree with this! I also think that it may seem as if those shadowing hours have been squeezed in just for the sake of it.. lack of commitment over a longer term.

Reactions: 1 users
Competitive and typical shadowing hours are ~100. Minimum I would put around 50.

Personally, I would go for it especially if her DAT scores turn out well. Waiting another year has its drawbacks.

I'm a nc native so pm me if you have any specific questions about UNC.

Competitive and typical shadowing hours are ~100. Minimum I would put around 50.

Personally, I would go for it especially if her DAT scores turn out well. Waiting another year has its drawbacks.

I'm a nc native so pm me if you have any specific questions about UNC.

Thank you :) Can you pm me first? Still haven't figured out the technicalities here lol

I think Adcoms will see the last minute shadowing hours and question it. Probably better to get a good idea of profession first before committing to it like others have mentioned.

totally agree with this! I also think that it may seem as if those shadowing hours have been squeezed in just for the sake of it.. lack of commitment over a longer term.

I like this mindset, you want to know what the field is like and taking a year will give you a lot more time to fully experience the field and obtain the ECs.
However depends on how she does on her DAT, she could sling it this year but she will have to explain why the switch and why the sudden rush to pick up shadowing hours.

I like this mindset, you want to know what the field is like and taking a year will give you a lot more time to fully experience the field and obtain the ECs.
However depends on how she does on her DAT, she could sling it this year but she will have to explain why the switch and why the sudden rush to pick up shadowing hours.

Yeah, that's what I figured as well. We have been doing some research today and came up with the plan that it might be best to see how well she does on the DAT. If she scores well, then go ahead and submit an application...? Does this sound reasonable? How late is a late application? And how long does it take for them to approve a request to take the DAT. Is it possible for someone to be denied the chance to take the test or why do people have to apply for this?

Yeah, that's what I figured as well. We have been doing some research today and came up with the plan that it might be best to see how well she does on the DAT. If she scores well, then go ahead and submit an application...? Does this sound reasonable? How late is a late application? And how long does it take for them to approve a request to take the DAT. Is it possible for someone to be denied the chance to take the test or why do people have to apply for this?

I think anytime before September. October is considered late. You want to submit a dat request ASAP. The months of June July and August are the busiest days for dat taking. It takes a day or two to approve. Then you have to find a date on prometric to take it. I advise to look at every center possible. Take the DAT no later than August. If she has sufficient studying done already maybe she could even take it earlier, who knows.

Like everyone else has said, it's rush hour for her. Applications open in a few days.

I think anytime before September. October is considered late. You want to submit a dat request ASAP. The months of June July and August are the busiest days for dat taking. It takes a day or two to approve. Then you have to find a date on prometric to take it. I advise to look at every center possible. Take the DAT no later than August. If she has sufficient studying done already maybe she could even take it earlier, who knows.

Like everyone else has said, it's rush hour for her. Applications open in a few days.
Thank you, @Likkriue !! Let's hope we can get her in!! :)