Apply or not...chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo_SK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior who might apply to med school this coming cycle. I still have a semester left, and if I get all A's, the highest my sGPA can be is ~3.05 and cGPA ~3.37. After my sophomore year, I have experienced an upward trend in my studies and am confident it will continue through my senior year. I have yet to take my MCAT (will in May), and I obviously am striving for ~505+ score to offset the GPA.
I only have two possible LOR, from a psych professor and a bio professor. I still need to find one more, but hopefully this semester will allow a possible LOR. I'm also considering getting my volunteer supervisor to write me one.
Also, in my sophomore year, I received a D in a physics course because I was practically forced to take the course despite not being ready for it. At all. I am taking a foundations physics course this coming semester and will retake the course with a D my senior year, fall semester.
I have shadowed 3 physicians (2 of them surgeons) with almost 40 hours. Plus, I have almost 200 hours as a volunteer at my local hospital. I also had the opportunity to visit a medical education center, being allowed to dissect 2 human bodies and a pig, encounter patient stimulations, and see a emergency intubation demonstration, all of which were amazing experiences.
Not sure if this information will influence med school admissions, but I am also hearing impaired with a cochlear implant and a hearing aid. Being hearing impaired has been a difficulty in my life that I will mention in my statement that inspired me to want to become a doctor.
In the end, should I even apply this year? I know my GPA is low, and with a great MCAT score, hopefully could offset the low GPA. I am considering a gap year so I can include my sr. year and get more clinical experience.
Any sort of advice would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get a 30+ mcat you'll be fine for a ton of DO schools. Unfortunately if you really want to go MD you'll probably need an SMP as you will probably get screened out of most schools because of your sGPA.