Apply or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarFall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely wait, any med school (even all DOs) will be wondering what you're doing applying with those stats, especially with a 5 on a section of the MCAT. Your GPAs are already way below what MD schools want, so you would realistically need well over a 30 MCAT to stand a chance at a lot of MD schools. Retake your MCAT, get at least a 26-27, take more classes (if you can) to bring that GPA up, and look into DO schools. Applying MD now (or ever with those stats) is a waste of your time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Stagg that you should not apply allo this year at all. Your stats are not competitive for allo schools; even many "unranked" allo schools will screen out an MCAT score below 24, and all would prefer scores in the high twenties or better. Your GPA is also well below avg., and you would be making your app very late with a September MCAT date. Taken together, this is a concerning combination that is likely to lead to an unsuccessful app season even if the soft parts of your app are stellar.

What are you doing about GPA rehabilitation? What is your new game plan for MCAT studying to bring up your score/avoid your prior mistakes? You mentioned PR; are you (or your family) from there? And what are your ECs?

Your numbers are not competitive for MD schools. Even a 40 MCAT won't save you there. Your GPAs are OK for DO schools, but the MCAT is lethal. Luckily, the DO cycle is longer, so if you can get an improved MCAT score (high 20s+) in by Dec, you'll still be in the running.

If you're boning for MD, you'll need to ace an SMP or post-bac, and ace MCAT.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.3/3.1 for MD schools
MCAT: 22 (7/5/10), have retake planned for Sept

Considering an Oct score would be late for the MD cycle, should I apply either way with my current stats? The reason being is I have a fee waiver for 15 MD schools and I know that I have a 0.1% chance of landing a spot. PR schools are not on my list since I cannot speak Spanish.
I am positive that I'd become a reapplicant for next cycle based on stats alone.
Is it better to wait next cycle and not be considered as a reapplicant?