apply psychiatry in personal life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is a bit personal, but has such a unique lens as a psychiatrist myself and sharing this with other psychiatrists who would have a whole 'nother level of appreciating this recent event in my life. My father likely has a severe personality disorder (he also has an extensive trauma history, being raised in a third world country in major political upheaval). Like many individuals, never considered care and it affected our family throughout my entire life and still does to this day. He always had this intense distrust of physicians in the USA and instead trusted quacks and herbal remedies from our country of origin. In medical school, I noticed he had persistent urinary symptoms and considering he was in his 60s and of course never kept up with primary care, I urged him to do at least one visit in his life. To have his prostate checked just once. Turned out he had stage IV prostate cancer. But we were so lucky. This was 13 going on 14 years ago. He got world class treatment. Access to the best oncologists in our state.

Lately, the inevitable happened, the cancer is treatment refractory. His bone marrow functions are greatly declined and he's transfusion dependent both for PRBCs and platelets. Of course, in his usual style and stubbornness, he did not take lifestyle warnings seriously such as: keep caught up with nutrition (and drink plenty of ensure), continue to ambulate to prevent deconditioning and pressure sores, use the in home care we qualified for (extra layer of prn help in case he gets dizzy and starts to fall), take great care with fall risk areas, stop those stupid herbal supplements and take the evidence based medication (e.g. remeron for appetite and mood). Not surprisingly, weight loss greatly escalated, he became deconditioned and has zero insight in how great of a fall risk he is as well as how dangerous a fall is for him.

The day came, the fall happened. I rushed home and his nose is gushing blood like a fountain. He refused to let me pack his nose saying it was "uncomfortable" (low distress tolerance?). He refused to go to the hospital and said he wanted to lay on the couch (which he's spent his days doing instead of doing his home exercises) and that he wanted to sleep on this. I'm thinking...we gotta make sure he doesn't have an intracranial hematoma. His last platelet count was 13. Turned out he had multiple subdurals. For several months I've been trying to get him to sign his living will, write his wishes, assign a HCPOA but he'd always get agitated and want to stay in denial. In the ER we finally sat down and got him to verbalize his wishes especially since we were talking about, if it came down to it, does this elderly man with a terminal prognosis and severe loss of function as it is---want invasive neurosurgery. This is exactly what I was worried would happen one day, that a crisis would happen and we'd have no idea what to do. I told him we're so lucky he did not have a fracture and he's actually still lucid enough to talk about this before the hematomas got to expand too much. I watched his defenses just crumble and he defer all the decision making to me ("I don't know, you know the best"). On the one hand he says he desperately wants to live, then on the other he does all the things that set him up for failure (sound like some clinical situations we run into? lol). Then when there's a bad outcome, he verbalizes feeling victimized and displaces his anger on loved ones as well as the physicians who have treated him very well (accusing them of not trying to advocate for him--when in reality he's gotten VIP care because I'm a familiar face in the medical community and especially this academic hospital which is the best known hospital in the state). He wants to cling on to the belief that medical care can extend his life without compromise in quality. He said if necessary, he wants neurosurgery and to be full code. I tried to explain that although it can spare him his life, it can be one of severe morbidity such as paralysis and major cognitive decline. He didn't seem to fully internalize that. I don't think it's a cognitive issue, this is always how he's made decisions, by picking and choosing what parts he wants and does not want to believe. So, we communicated this all to the medical team--that he wants assertive management. He did fortunately say that he would never want to be intubated or placed on a feeding tube.

He made an outstanding recovery. The medical and neuro team were phenomenal. Gave him platelets and PRBCs. Subdurals stabilized. With me kicking him in the pants (a lot) he ambulated and regained a lot of strength (this was after he yelled at staff for bothering him and insisting he be left to rest, he hit staff too). His behavior was embarrassing, he was always ringing his call bell because he thought his tea was taking too long. My father clings on to this belief that he's descended from royal blood and deserves top treatment, although he was getting precisely that. I noticed he had a bed sore developing on his sacrum, due to chronic minimal movement. During rounds yesterday he had another fit with the residents and attending. He actually got all the transfusions he was scheduled for and demanded more. My father said that he's a dying patient (true) and that they are not being compassionate physicians who are doing their job. That they hold him in the hospital and take too long to respond, that everyone takes too long to respond and he's being deprived of the treatment he needs. That he is a dying patient, and there is no compassion here, that the "service" is unacceptable. He demanded to be discharged immediately if he was not actively getting treated. I told him, he's not helping himself by lounging in bed and demanding to not be bothered and demanding more transfusions. He's got severe thrombocytopenia that recurs even with transfusions and a bed sore that is about the break the skin. The more he moves and shows he's safe, the faster he can get home. Although all the staff agreed that home is dangerous for him (I feel this way too) but understood I promised him I'd at least try to keep him home and I'm paying out of pocket for 24/7 care and a hospital bed with a mattress specialized for pressure sores. I apologized to all members of the team on behalf of my dad.

It was palpable, the emotional weight this case has put on the whole medical team. I expressed that I'm well aware there is not medical necessity to stay in the hospital so the plan is discharge to home tomorrow. I could tell the medical team was treading carefully, and I told them it is okay, I understand exactly and agree with their treatment plans. Until the 24/7 care is established, I'm staying at home with him. Despite me being pregnant and I have another child at home. But this field has taught me acceptance, distress tolerance and interpersonal skills. Where there times I did not use the DBT, yup, you bet. lol, somehow there's something special about family members that makes you want to just "let 'em have it." I'm trying to get as fast as possible all the installations and safety equipment set up. I know I can't control him, he lacks insight about his physical limitations, and at least when he makes the next dumb decision, hopefully there will be enough grab bars and other set ups to make it harder to slip and fall (or least not as hard...). He's going to demand the caregiver be fired and sent away. But I know it leaves us with two options, offer enrollment in a nursing home which he will refuse....or allow him to make his own informed (and terrible decision) to continue on at his own risk. But he is decisional. We may be back at the hospital soon. But, wow, has this field taught me so much from a psychiatric and psychodynamic standpoint.

I'm not sure where this post stands on the forum rules. But I wanted to share and won't be upset if it gets locked or taken down. It's just that, you guys have such a unique level of understanding of a situation like this.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
I’m very sorry to hear, friend. I hope the best for you and your family and your extended support healthcare team in this trying time. I have a similarly stubborn mother that hasn’t been seen by a physician/ nurse for anything screening for many years now and her mother and grandmother died from cardiac issues and she is morbidly obese. No talking sense into her. I’ve resigned to this reality even though she won’t take it seriously. I still wish more clarity and reasonableness for your father for your sake and everyone else’s to optimize whatever time you may have left together.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
This is so, so hard. And it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. Kudos to you on putting all your training to work to manage this intolerable situation with compassion, grace, and efficacy. Internet hugs to you, and keep up the good work.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
If this were to turn into a conglomerate of stories about our parents troubling personality traits, I imagine this thread would fill up very quickly.

Sorry you hear about the troubles you and your family are facing.

• Haha
Even this far into our adulthoods, no one more embarrassing than our parents. You can always count on them for that lol.

Reactions: 4 users
We'll, bless your heart for sticking with the pursuit of care.

Wouldn't blame you if you did less, or pulled back for how engaged you've been.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
When a dying patient's family member is a psychiatrist, the medical team breathes a sigh of relief and wrongly feels they are off the hook from having difficult conversations with the patient and family because... psych is onboard. Moreover, family may lean upon you to act as medical liaison. What happens is you may end up taking on these draining, multiple roles. It has its appeal as a form of coping. But your father will likely die soon, one way or another. That being the case, past and present frailties (physical, medical, psychiatric, spiritual) don't seem all that relevant. He is who he is. Be with him, and remember to take care of yourself.

James Blunt - Monsters (Official Music Video) - YouTube

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
wait... you're a lady?
Yes, lol. I also have a masculine sounding name in real life. Have all my life been correcting pronouns electronically, everyone thinks I'm a dude.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, lol. I also have a masculine sounding name in real life. Have all my life been correcting pronouns electronically, everyone thinks I'm a dude.
I think it's the avatar, but I legit pictured you as a balding male in his late 50s.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think it's the avatar, but I legit pictured you as a balding male in his late 50s.
nope, pregnant woman in her 30's who wears stylish dresses : P

Exactly. He's generated a lot of enemies in life. Engaged in his share of projection identification. Like many of our personality disordered patients, desperately wants to be loved, does all the things that push people away. My gift to him will be unconditional love, support, validation. I want him to feel love for once...as rare as he experiences that, if he's ever experienced that.

Reactions: 1 user
Real life happens.
I achieved every psychiatrist's ultimate life goal a couple of years back--all of my kids AND a dog simultaneously on psychotropics! Yay us!
(Wasn't all that much fun...really. I probably should have been in some therapy too, but who has time for these things?)

Happy to report all are well, all gainfully employed even!
(Well, except the dog, who succumbed to unrelated natural causes a year ago. The other dog never did go out and get a job, either, but she makes people think twice about approaching the house, I guess...)

• Haha
Real life happens.
I achieved every psychiatrist's ultimate life goal a couple of years back--all of my kids AND a dog simultaneously on psychotropics! Yay us!
(Wasn't all that much fun...really. I probably should have been in some therapy too, but who has time for these things?)

Happy to report all are well, all gainfully employed even!
(Well, except the dog, who succumbed to unrelated natural causes a year ago. The other dog never did go out and get a job, either, but she makes people think twice about approaching the house, I guess...)
I'm actually shocked at how impactful SSRI's are in dogs, my last dog went from tearing up the house with separation anxiety to being a total rockstar and was able to get off them after a year without ever having problems again.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Our guy was actually on phenobarb for a seizure d/o, though he probably could have used an SSRI, too. And we had a trazodone prescription for him for grooming dates, thunderstorms, and holiday weekends

Our guy was actually on phenobarb for a seizure d/o, though he probably could have used an SSRI, too. And we had a trazodone prescription for him for grooming dates, thunderstorms, and holiday weekends

A friend of mine had a cat they had to put on haldol. It was the sweetest thing in the world...right up until it saw any other cat (even those it had lived with for years), at which point it became a yowling, hissing terror and would fling itself at them and try to kill them. Even if they moved the animals to another room and shut the door, it would throw itself against the door and try to reach under it to swipe at them. After it got started on daily haldol gel rubbed on its ears, back to being the sweetest thing in the world.

Haldol also slowed it down a bit, to the point that the cat developed a party trick where this friend of mine could (gently) bounce a ping-pong ball off its forehead and it would just slow blink but not otherwise react. So plusses and minuses.

• Haha
  • Wow
Risks versus benefits all, risks versus benefits. Pride gets in the way of too many and life is too short to live in misery. @OldPsychDoc, my deepest sympathies for the dog that failed to launch.

Good to share these stories. We need the human element in medicine in addition to the science.

When my Dad died about 2.5 years ago, having run a geri-psych unit, I believe the experienced helped me to process the grief of his death much better. I knew what was coming before it came, and emotionally processed it much faster than my family members.

• Care
Good to share these stories. We need the human element in medicine in addition to the science.

When my Dad died about 2.5 years ago, having run a geri-psych unit, I believe the experienced helped me to process the grief of his death much better. I knew what was coming before it came, and emotionally processed it much faster than my family members.
I love it when family decides to stay in denial. So when the time comes, we can witness the running around in circles, screaming and flailing of arms...just a little dark humor.

But in all seriousness, I think we're much better prepared for our own deaths. I'm sure we'll have our share of less graceful moments, but it will still be better than fully unprepared. Gave me some interesting ideas of how I'd like to try to plan mine. I'm not sure if I want my children to be there at the final moment. I'd like to have our last moments together be some final good experiences, good food. Then have things nicely tucked away and wrapped in a bow for them. Have my letters written.

Then at my funeral, I'd like my son to take my phone, text the attendees "thank you for coming" and compliment the person who sent the nice casserole as it was so delicious. lol.

• Haha
My dad refused to go to the hospital despite obvious signs of an acute problem. He had capacity and wasn't cognitively impaired, so the ambulance wouldn't bring him. They did what they had to do. They couldn't bring him. I get it. It was his fault. Add to the problem he was a physician and was fully aware he was at high risk. He wasn't taking blood thinners as recommended by his own doctor, something I pointed out and told him he'd be dead within weeks about 10 days before he died. When I told him this he went on a rant that psychiatrists aren't real doctors and I was pretty much not credible in any of my medical opinions.

To this day my mom blames herself for his death. I've told her several times the ambulance couldn't bring him. I blame him for his own outcome. This was the first sign to me that I'm processing this way differently than my family.

• Sad
  • Care
Risks versus benefits all, risks versus benefits. Pride gets in the way of too many and life is too short to live in misery. @OldPsychDoc, my deepest sympathies for the dog that failed to launch.
Gave us eight good years of calm, faithful companionship. Just replaced him with a disinhibited wookie/tasmanian devil cross that Mrs. PsychDoc has already renamed "YOUR Dog". 😵‍💫