Apply this Cycle or Next Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jnorman1218

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some advice on whether to apply this cycle of wait until next year. I just graduated with my degree in athletic training, cGPA 3.89 sGPA ~3.79. I am scheduled to take the MCAT next week, but I have had NO where near enough time to study for it and have been getting pretty low scores on practice tests (~20). Due to not being a science major, I feel shaky on some of the hard sciences (particularly physics and some bio). I think if I had a couple of months to review some of these subjects I could raise my MCAT score considerably. Given that my MCAT score is consistent with my practice tests, do you think I should go ahead and apply this cycle or should I not even bother with it, study hard and raise my score then shoot for next cycle? Thanks for the help.

Jared

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some advice on whether to apply this cycle of wait until next year. I just graduated with my degree in athletic training, cGPA 3.89 sGPA ~3.79. I am scheduled to take the MCAT next week, but I have had NO where near enough time to study for it and have been getting pretty low scores on practice tests (~20). Due to not being a science major, I feel shaky on some of the hard sciences (particularly physics and some bio). I think if I had a couple of months to review some of these subjects I could raise my MCAT score considerably. Given that my MCAT score is consistent with my practice tests, do you think I should go ahead and apply this cycle or should I not even bother with it, study hard and raise my score then shoot for next cycle? Thanks for the help.

Jared

If you have the money to apply, then it might be a good idea. If money is tight then you may want to hold off for a better shot at the MCAT... I am usually in favor of Just applying though, it wont hurt, as long as you can financially

You have a sGPA of 3.79 (im assuming that includes all ur pre-reqs) but you arent doing well on practice MCATs? Am i missing something here? Is science really easy at your school or something

I had a gpa of like low 3._ in my pre-reqs and was able to score a 30R

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am doing ok in with organic Chem and some bio, but I have only taken one semester of biology (planning to take the 2nd this summer) and I took gen chem 1 and 2 over the summer of my freshman year in 4 week classes so I am very rusty on all of that. Also, since I was an AT major, I simply took the prereqs and then didn't really use the info after that, which looking back I definitely should have found a way to stay current on the hard sciences. I am also planning on taking biochem and genetics this fall which I think will help. Anyway, I think I will go ahead and apply to at least a few schools this cycle. I'm not expecting to get in anywhere, but hey I have a better chance than if I don't apply at all.

You have a sGPA of 3.79 (im assuming that includes all ur pre-reqs) but you arent doing well on practice MCATs? Am i missing something here? Is science really easy at your school or something

I had a gpa of like low 3._ in my pre-reqs and was able to score a 30R

How a person did on their pre-reqs 3 years ago won't really correlate into how they do on the MCAT.

Basically every one in my MCAT class started with high teen's on their diagnostic and first practice tests. Half of these kids had great grades in their pre-reqs. That didn't matter though. That was 3 years before.

I think we often overrate how much we gain retain information. We all need to review a bit to remember what we learned in our pre-reqs 3 years ago. This is especially true for people who just crammed a few days before each of the 2 or 3 midterms (and the final) in the class, instead of going to class every day and keeping up. This is also true for people who took the course over the summer like the OP, over a time period of only 4 weeks.

if money isn't that big of an issue it couldn't hurt to apply, but if you are not feeling very confident about your mcat you might want to wait to apply either later this cycle or next cycle.. I scored a few points lower than my average practice exams. Your gpa is awesome so even if you don't get a top mcat score you will still be competitive with a decent mcat.

Apply to a few schools this cycle and when u get ur mcat score and it's good then u can apply to some more schools. If it's horribly bad (below 23) then u can withdraw ur application in order to not make applying for the next cycle any harder..

Just my opinion

Sounds like your MCAT practice tests are way too low to take the test next week. I HIGHLY recommend that you take your time and prepare bit better for the test and take it when you are scoring AT LEAST 9s on each section consistently. It would be a miracle expect anything different from a 20 on the real deal next week.

I disagree with the other posters because your practice tests just don't indicate you are ready. Trust your gut that you aren't quite ready yet.