Apply this year or next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotbodmatt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've talked to a number of pre-med friends and my pre-med advisor and they all seemed to suggest that applying twice is not the greatest deal! In other words, it might be better to wait and apply next year, than apply this year and the next (assuming the first was unsuccessful).

I was just wondering what you all thought...here is my situation.

-Double majored in Electrical and Biomedical Engineering at Duke. Graduated in May, 2004. Cumulative GPA = 3.500. 2.9 Freshman year, and averaged 3.7 in the last 3 years at Duke (an upward trend, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9). Decided to give the pre-med thing a shot in the LAST semester of my senior year at Duke (i.e. last spring). Studied up on gen chem, physics, and read lots of bio over last summer.
-Took all of the required pre-med classes (except biochem for some schools) at this small college over the past year. Finished with those in May, 2005.
-Took the April, 2005 MCAT. Scored 31R: (13-PS, 9-V, R, 9-BS). Happy with it, will not retake!

No research, limited ECs, a bit of volunteering, no medically-related work, and no work experience since graduation of last May. Not sure about getting amazing LORs.

I turned 24 this past June. A little distressed about potentially being 26 (when I begin) if I decide to wait to apply next year (and assuming that I manage to get in!).

I have NOT started AMCAS. So, my big question is this... If you were me, would you apply this year or wait until next year?

I can get everything going WAY in advance if I apply next year! My pre-med advisors have told me that med schools do NOT like reapplicants that much. Hehe, well, what I mean is that med schools ask themselves "What is different about this person this time around?" And my advisors have told me that adcoms can view reapplicants with cynicism especially in regard to "why they want to be physicians." There are also other issues. The adcoms might ask WHY i didn't apply to their school the first time, or why admit me this time if they've rejected me once before. I generally got the impression that you SHOULD try to APPLY ONLY ONCE. This was very contrary to what I had rendered applying the first time, "nothing gained, nothing ventured".

What do you all think? It's already approaching MID-JULY!!!! Any comments and advice will be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt apply now. You have good enough numbers, but without medically-related experiences, you application may be DOA at most places. I have a friend who applied with a 33 and 3.7 but no medically related experiences, and at every interview, he was asked "how could you know that you want to be a doctor if you've never seen one in action or interacted with patients?" He was waitlisted at a few schools, with no acceptances.
I cant tell you whether or not you'd get in this cycle, but if you really want to do it only once, then I suggest waiting and improving your application before you apply.

I would apply now. What's holding you back? You've got a MCAT and a gpa you're satisfied with, and mid-July is not late. I know people that are taking the MCAT in August for the first time and starting the process in October! Also, you can apply now and get your experience in between now and your interview. That way when you interview you can say, well, I've been doing whatever since whenever... Interviews start in Sept, you've got at least a month and a half to get some time in. If you know you want to do it, why spend an extra 12 months out of school? What do you have to lose anyway? You're probably going to get in with those stats especially if you apply to school that have comparable stats. Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for your responses! I appreciate your advice and opinions! Part of me wants to not drag it out and just start applying right now, but I think the major problem I'm having is the one of residency...

I'm currently a resident of TN I think. I was born in Texas, have a Texas Driver's License, and my parents still haven't sold their house...but I still think since I've resided with them in TN and voted here last year, that I'm a resident here. And that completely sucks.

TX is like one of the best states in the US to apply to public medical schools. Freaking cheap, most have solid reputations, there's plenty of money in TX, and cities! I'd freaking die if I had to go to some rural small town in Appalachia!

I think I can get the TX residency for the next application cycle. I'm planning to move there in a few weeks!

Any other opinions? Hehe, not trying to sound like a self-centered, introspective jerk, but you people know quite a bit about this med stuff! :luck: Thanks again for your thoughts SD and Nightowl.

I'd apply now and indicate that you are going to be starting volunteering this summer and carry it on for the next year.

A couple points:

-If you do decide to apply next year, consider retaking the MCAT. Your 13 on the PS suggests you could do much better on the BS if you spent more time studying biology.

-Activities you're doing during the process can count. I think the additional letters of rec I submitted helped.

-I'll be 22 next year. The average matriculant age is 24. They'll be plenty of 26 year olds like yourself to balance those of us that came straight out of ugrad. If you're worried about being old when you're done with everything, consider that after 4 years of med school and a 7 year (for example) residency, I'll be 33 and you'll be 35. There isn't a huge difference there. Also, schools (some more than others, UCSF for example) seem to have a big thing for non-traditional applicants (you're not all that non-traditional, though).

I think you should apply next year so long as in the upcoming year you do something medically related - whether that be volunteering at hospital/clinic, latching on to a research project, or shadowing a physician/surgeon. I am not an admissions committee member, but the medically related activity appears to be the only missing piece to an otherwise solid application.

Good luck in your decision,

jhrugger