Apply to Med School or Take job offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Action Rigby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying to med school for Fall 2012 (haven't submitted my AMCAS yet). I am retaking my MCAT in August with hopes of getting a score in the high 20s or low 30s. My undergrad gpa is pretty bad (3.0) due to a really bad freshmen and sophomore year. I believe that with a high MCAT score, I could definitely get into a school in the Caribbean.

But I was just offered a job at a renowned research lab. The downside is that the lab asks for a 2 year commitment. If I take the job, will it increase my chances of getting into a US med school in Fall 2013? Or should I just apply to a Caribbean med school and attend during Fall 2012?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus here is to avoid the Caribbean if you can since it will be harder for you to come back to the US and practice. I think taking the job will give you something to talk about on your application, but I would avoid applying and subsequently being accepted by a Caribbean school if you can. There are ways to bring up a poor undergraduate GPA, such as by retaking bad courses or by doing a post-bacc. With a 30+ score on the MCAT, you should have a solid shot at US med schools.

In your situation, I would take the two year research job and apply for Fall 2013. You can take some classes while you work to boost your GPA.

Or to be competitive here, I would also consider an SMP.