Applying 2020/What Else Should I Be Doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbarnes12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I basically just became pre-med about four months ago, after I tried shadowing, and was looking for advice about what I should be doing to make myself a competitive applicant. My school doesn't have pre-med advisors so I figured this was the next best place to ask. I'm a white female, and I'll be taking the MCAT this summer.

GPA: 3.9ish after first quarter of junior year at a top public school (sGPA: ~3.85).

Shadowing: 30 hours (primary care physician)

Research: Two years now in a psych lab (psychobiology major here), studying mental health literacy. I've presented posters at two conferences. By the time I apply, I'll likely be second author on one or two publications.

Work: I work part-time at the front desk and in the mailroom of the athletics department on campus, basically doing security and customer service. I'm also a huge sports nerd (former D1 soccer hopeful, until I got injured; currently training for a marathon), so I spend maybe more time than I should volunteering for the marketing department there (flyering, game-day set-up, and yell crew kind of stuff). I figure everyone needs a hobby. It's certainly not something I could do full-time, though.

ECs: I didn't think I was pre-med my freshman year, so I didn't look into doing anything clinical. I did, however, spend two quarters volunteering with Special Olympics every other week (~40 hours), where I coached young adults with mental disabilities in soccer and basketball. During my second year, I volunteered at a local hospice as a patient care volunteer. Basically, I would provide emotional and social support with the patients - watching TV with them, working puzzles with them, just talking, etc. The patients understandably would tire quickly, so I could only spend an hour or two with them per visit. I did ~50 hours in nine months. I left this volunteer position because the hospice was, frankly, not well-organized, and after the social worker I was reporting to left, they never hired at that position again and I couldn't really get in contact with anyone about what I should do. However, after this experience, I realized I wanted to explore medicine as a career option, and I've started volunteering doing patient transport and wayfaring at the local Veterans Administration hospital. I've done 83 hours so far, and plan to keep doing this until I graduate next year.

Since I started pre-med so late, I constantly feel like maybe I'm missing something or behind where I ought to be, so I was just hoping to get some feedback! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical and nonclinical volunteering aren't that great; get more hours there. Ideally, you'd have 300+ clinical and the same amount of nonclinical hours.

Go for 150 hours clinical and non clinical volunteering. Your volunteering looks pretty good so far, shadow another doc for 20 hours (50 total). You look like you’re on the right track, that other guy has been trolling. Get a leadership/tutoring position (can count as volunteerint)