Applying both Prelim IM AND Prelim surgery for Intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am a US DO 3rd year medical student planning on applying Prelim programs.
I was wondering if we are allowed to apply both Prelim IM AND Prelim Surgery? I know this is not a common trend but my situation is unique -

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I was wondering if we are allowed to apply both Prelim IM AND Prelim Surgery? I know this is not a common trend but my situation is unique -

Thank you in advance!
you can apply to as many different prelims as you want. Though it's usually not smart to apply to multiple programs at the same place. but why would you plan to do only a prelim year?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. I got offered a job as a healthcare policy director and it does not require a residency training (it only requires a medical license, which can be obtained after 1 year training). That is why I wanted to focus on getting a prelim spot since I don't have to spend extra money applying Advanced position. Hope this makes sense, I just meant to seek for some advices.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. I got offered a job as a healthcare policy director and it does not require a residency training (it only requires a medical license, which can be obtained after 1 year training). That is why I wanted to focus on getting a prelim spot since I don't have to spend extra money applying Advanced position. Hope this makes sense, I just meant to seek for some advices.
This is not a good idea... you will be severely limited being able to get jobs in medicine without a completed residency...jobs aren’t forever and of something happens with this one, it will be harder to get back on your feet without a residency

and it is state specific in whether one can get a license with only one year...most require at least 2 years of training.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This is not a good idea... you will be severely limited being able to get jobs in medicine without a completed residency...jobs aren’t forever and of something happens with this one, it will be harder to get back on your feet without a residency

and it is state specific in whether one can get a license with only one year...most require at least 2 years of training.
For US grads, something like 35 states allow a license after 1 year of training - since OP is a DO, he's presumably a US grad.

People apply to combinations of prelim med/prelim surg/transitional years all the time. That's not a problem - though not applying for an advanced specialty at the same time you apply for the prelim is a bit weird.

Exactly as you said though, if I were OP I'd be cautious regarding this plan - if he ever loses this job, he's basically screwed himself out of most of his ability to work in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello

Thank you in advance!
You could apply to Ortho, Derm, Radiology, IM, IM Pre-lim, Gen Surg if you wanted. The obvious issue is your common CV will be transparent. Your predicament is honestly not as uncommon as you think. Anyone doing Physiatry, Radiology, are in similar predicaments.

OP this is a terrible idea. You need to get board certified. If you lose that gig, you're looking at prison medicine, practicing in Missouri, finding a General Practitioner gig at a place that doesnt take Medicare...i.e. your career in clinical medicine is basically knee-capped. Do two more years (IM, FM, Peds, whatever.) in something you see yourself doing the most good and you've got yourself job security with a midcareer salary of 200K/yr for life. Once you do the bolded, it's going to be very difficult to find your way back into residency. Think long/hard about this. I would not pigeon-hole myself into this at such a young age.

Thank you for all responses- I am aware that only few states allow you to work as a doctor. However, I am not planning on working in medicine (maybe just in healthcare policy), and I do have a secure path (that generates income).

I have one last question - When I apply on ERAS in September, do I have to specify the Advanced program? Or can I just leave it blank? (will prelim programs not like this?)

I appreciate all help!!

Thank you for all responses- I am aware that only few states allow you to work as a doctor. However, I am not planning on working in medicine (maybe just in healthcare policy), and I do have a secure path (that generates income).

I have one last question - When I apply on ERAS in September, do I have to specify the Advanced program? Or can I just leave it blank? (will prelim programs not like this?)

I appreciate all help!!

You’ll be able to apply to preliminary programs alone.

That plan generates income now, but in 5-10 years? I hope for your sake this isn’t commissions-based. Also, given that you’re not coming from a top school, I struggle to imagine what you could be doing that affords you any sort of long term job security.