Applying for HPSP through multiple branches is like... pulling teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for HPSP through both the Navy (first choice) and the Army (back up). If you're wondering, yeah, I considered applying through the Air Force too, but even though I have solid stats, the impression I got from the Air Force recruiter was that unless you have a 4.0 and a 25 on the DAT, don't waste your time.

I was honest from the get go and told both of my recruiters that I was applying to both branches and even though they said "fine" in person... It doesn't feel fine. I kind of feel like I'm in an open relationship with two women who agreed to this set up reluctantly and are starting to resent me for it. lol

Seriously, getting security clearance and MEPS paperwork transferred between branches feels like I'm pulling teeth and they keep asking me to fill out documents that are identical to things I've already done through the other branch, etc. I can understand that they don't want to waste their time with someone who might not pick their branch, but I also don't want to waste hours of my time filling out 20 page identical forms twice either. I mean, it's not like it's anything personal. I would be happy to be Army or Navy. It's just that with half a million dollars on the line, not applying to both branches seems almost irresponsible.

Anyway, has anyone else applied for two branches recently? Any tips for working with recruiters? Also, what is the timeline for acceptances? In other words, with the timing of panels, etc., could I ever be in a situation where I will be forced to sign on the dotted line by the Army before I get a decision back from the Navy or vice versa?

Any ideas for how I can makes this progress more smoothly would be appreciated.

Signed,
Not looking to break hearts, I just can't commit right now. haha

Members don't see this ad.

You have been honest up front..that is all you can do. I applied both navy and army as well and dropped the army application once I felt confident in my recruiter (probably shouldn't have but it all worked out). If you really don't mind which branch, put the pressure on them..tell them each that you know it's very competitive and you will go with whatever side gives you the scholarship first. Most applicants I believe get around a week to decide one way or another on the scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying for HPSP through both the Navy (first choice) and the Army (back up). If you're wondering, yeah, I considered applying through the Air Force too, but even though I have solid stats, the impression I got from the Air Force recruiter was that unless you have a 4.0 and a 25 on the DAT, don't waste your time.

I was honest from the get go and told both of my recruiters that I was applying to both branches and even though they said "fine" in person... It doesn't feel fine. I kind of feel like I'm in an open relationship with two women who agreed to this set up reluctantly and are starting to resent me for it. lol

Seriously, getting security clearance and MEPS paperwork transferred between branches feels like I'm pulling teeth and they keep asking me to fill out documents that are identical to things I've already done through the other branch, etc. I can understand that they don't want to waste their time with someone who might not pick their branch, but I also don't want to waste hours of my time filling out 20 page identical forms twice either. I mean, it's not like it's anything personal. I would be happy to be Army or Navy. It's just that with half a million dollars on the line, not applying to both branches seems almost irresponsible.

Anyway, has anyone else applied for two branches recently? Any tips for working with recruiters? Also, what is the timeline for acceptances? In other words, with the timing of panels, etc., could I ever be in a situation where I will be forced to sign on the dotted line by the Army before I get a decision back from the Navy or vice versa?

Any ideas for how I can makes this progress more smoothly would be appreciated.

Signed,
Not looking to break hearts, I just can't commit right now. haha

consider yourself lucky, I talked to Army recruiter and she told me straight that I either withdraw my application from the Navy or I don't apply with her for the Army as well. Since the Army is considered the least competitive, I rolled the dice with the Army. Got all my MEPS and paper worked out.

on the side note, the navy recruiter seems like a douche though doesnt have the confident feelings i have with Army recruiter

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope it works out for you in the Army. I'm in kind of the opposite situation.

My Navy recruiter is usually pretty good, the Air Force guy was an arrogant jerk, and the Army guy is just vaguely disinterested.

With recruiters it all seems like luck of the draw on who you end up with. It really shouldn't be like that though. I wish these guys would just all be professional and do their jobs instead of acting like a weird mix of salesman and reluctant DMV employee.