PhD/PsyD Applying For Jobs Before EPPP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMGabilify

trying my best
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm finishing up my postdoc in August and am applying for jobs outside my postdoc site. For certain positions such as within the VA and various other settings, I know the process from application to officially starting can be LENGTHY (6+ months???). However, my EPPP exam date is in April so I was unsure if it would hurt my chances if I apply for licensed positions before taking the EPPP. Do applicants generally wait to take + pass the EPPP then starting applying for licensed positions? Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you’re open to ending postdoc early to take a job (which happens but is probably not super recommended), I think applying now for August 2024 and beyond openings is too early.

Most people ending internship and postdoc and looking for jobs usually start in the spring and even summer.

Even if a site is interested in hiring you, they would need to hold the job for potentially 7+ months, which most hospital/healthcare systems either don’t want to or won’t have permission to.

This is problematic because they were likely given approval to hire for this position in order to start clinical care associated for that position asap. Additionally, hiring somebody that far out increases the chances that something happens (the person finds another job, life circumstances change, etc).

As for EPPP and licensure, you likely have some time. If you’re hired as an unlicensed GS-12 VA psychologist out of postdoc, I think you have 2 years to get licensed. So if you pass the EPPP in April, that would set you up well for applying for jobs around that timeframe.

VA onboarding processes have decreased at most sites so you’re looking more at 2-3 months most likely. I imagine private hospital systems will be quicker.

Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Unless you’re open to ending postdoc early to take a job (which happens but is probably not super recommended), I think applying now for August 2024 and beyond openings is too early.

Most people ending internship and postdoc and looking for jobs usually start in the spring and even summer.

Even if a site is interested in hiring you, they would need to hold the job for potentially 7+ months, which most hospital/healthcare systems either don’t want to or won’t have permission to.

This is problematic because they were likely given approval to hire for this position in order to start clinical care associated for that position asap. Additionally, hiring somebody that far out increases the chances that something happens (the person finds another job, life circumstances change, etc).

As for EPPP and licensure, you likely have some time. If you’re hired as an unlicensed GS-12 VA psychologist out of postdoc, I think you have 2 years to get licensed. So if you pass the EPPP in April, that would set you up well for applying for jobs around that timeframe.

VA onboarding processes have decreased at most sites so you’re looking more at 2-3 months most likely. I imagine private hospital systems will be quicker.

Good luck!
Wow! Thank you for the information!! This is so helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I began applying for VA positions in Jan/Feb of my second fellowship year back when processing times were longer, and even back then, I had multiple sites ask that I re-apply closer to my completion date. The position I accepted ultimately took me despite having to hold the spot for something like 4-5 months, IIRC.

I'd agree with summerbabe that giving yourself 2-3 or 3-4 months of lead time is okay, but >6 months will probably be untenable for most places in terms of holding the position for you. I think applying after you take the EPPP in April should be fine.

Also, for some VA positions, they (i.e., HR) can be very stringent about the requirements; if it's listed as only a GS-12/13 position, which both (I believe) require licensure, and if you don't meet requirements at the time you apply, HR may just toss your application (even if the psychologists there tell them it's fine). At least that's how it used to be.

The position I accepted ultimately took me despite having to hold the spot for something like 4-5 months, IIRC.
A site may be more inclined to hold a position that they will have trouble recruiting for like neuropsych or maybe something supervisory whereas for a standard clinical position, they may want the quickest qualified warm body (unless they have even gone through a previous round of hiring without getting a candidate and may have no choice but to wait).
Also, for some VA positions, they (i.e., HR) can be very stringent about the requirements; if it's listed as only a GS-12/13 position, which both (I believe) require licensure, and if you don't meet requirements at the time you apply, HR may just toss your application (even if the psychologists there tell them it's fine). At least that's how it used to be.
From recent USAJobs listings, I feel like I see a lot of GS11/12/13 fully eligible listings, including for positions where I’m 99% certain they would not actually hire a GS11/12 because they want somebody fully licensed (eg suicide prevention).

So maybe that’s been a change to account for those previous HR related barriers & headaches.

A site may be more inclined to hold a position that they will have trouble recruiting for like neuropsych or maybe something supervisory whereas for a standard clinical position, they may want the quickest qualified warm body (unless they have even gone through a previous round of hiring without getting a candidate and may have no choice but to wait).
Yep, definitely. They made it known it my case that it was unique to me and my position. If the VA isn't having trouble filling positions, they aren't likely to hold it for multiple months (unless the hold up is on their end). I don't know if any PP or AMC would hold a position for that long.

Applying early is fine. Many jobs have a lengthy hiring/credentialing process and will hold a job for a little after that as well. I secured a job in the early winter the year prior to finishing postdoc in August the next year. I know plenty of people who had job offers in Jan/Feb for postdocs that ended in August. Worst thing that happens is that you don't get an interview or they say that they want the job filled earlier, NBD. But, that's not as bad as missing out on a job that would have been a great fit and would have held that position that you never even applied for.