Applying for kennel position- Pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate a little help.

One of the veterinary clinics in the area is hiring for a kennel position, and I heading over there tomorrow to fill out an application. However, from filling out volunteer forms, I know they generally have a "Pay Requested/Salary" section to fill out. (Though I've obviously written "None!" in them before)

My only job experience is working part time at Taco Bell, so, needless to say, I have no idea what sort of pay to ask for in this situation. Any opinion/suggestions? What have others you've known been paid for kennel work?

(For some frame of reference, I live in NC, where the minimum wage is currently $6.55.)

Members don't see this ad.

I live in GA, and I think the kennel crew at the hospital I worked at made $6.50/hr (minimum wage was around $5.75/hr). Kennel kids never really make any money.

I'd put "open" and expect minimum wage... some places will give you periodic raises after you've been working for a certain length of time. It is completely appropriate to ask about this during your interview.

Good luck! Kennel work can suck sometimes, but it's usually pretty fun, and it's a good way to work your way up to a vet tech assistant position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with putting "open" for your salary amount. Especially in an economy like this, I would hate for the salary I listed to be the reason I didn't get hired to get the necessary experience.

When I worked in Miami, FL I got $8/hr (minimum wage was around 6 something then). When I worked in Orlando, FL, I got $7.75/hr and minimum wage was $7.21 I think? It really depends on the city and state you live in. Sorry I can't really help for NC.

According to this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm#NorthCarolina

North Caroline minimum wage is currently $6.55 and projected to go to $7.25 on 7/24/2009. So maybe list $7/hr? or $6.75/hr.

When I was in your situation I listed minimum wage as the salary I wanted. I just wanted the job. I ended up getting paid about a buck more than minimum wage and was able to work my way up to tech position in a relatively short time.

Another tip... blanket your city with resumes and applications. Even if a clinic isn't advertising it is still advantageous to apply for a position, you never know when they are going to need extra help, or lose existing help. Good luck!

I live in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ and I worked in a kennel for about 10 months... Pay was $8/hour when I was hired and I got a raise to $9/hour at my 6 month review. The minimum wage here was just raised to $7.25, which I believe is the second increase since I was hired in October of 2007.

I agree with the above posts. When I first started cleaning cages I was paid 6.50/hr. If you continue to work hard, then your will receive raises. Its a tough job,and given the physical nature of the job the pay may seem low. But, you have to start somewhere. Good luck!

I'd actually be more than happy to receive minimum wage- better than the for free volunteering I've been expecting!

Thank you for all the responses to this thread. I am going to take the consensus of advice and simply write 'open.' :) Wish me luck.

(And as far as blanketing the city with my resume- I have the addresses of all clinics within a distance in a file on my computer. However, I currently do not have a car, so I need to do further research on available bus routes before I go shoot papers at them.)

Last edited:
I also live in North Carolina (Greenville area). In the past I worked for multiple places doing kennel work and I was paid b/t $6.50-$7.50. I agree with everyone else though write open!

When I started working at the place I do now (in Chatt, TN) the kennel workers started at $8/hr. Pretty high turnover rate though.

I just applied for (and finished my follow up interview/shadow - keep your fingers crossed for me) a kennel position here in orlando. The starting pay is $7.50/hr with a "good chance of a raise" after the probation period of 90 days... which just says to me that they have a decent turnover rate too

I'm working as a kennel tech now hoping to sometime in the next 2352 years to actually move up to being an actual tech. I make minimum wage in tallahassee (6.75). But i think after 3 months, I get a .50 raise. I would agree with everyone else, put open, and then after a few months, ask about a raise.