Applying for MPH programs!! Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

negg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am currently applying to global MPH programs for Fall 2015. I have become very disheartened lately because I'm not sure of my chances of acceptance, and I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars (app fees, transcript fees, GRE score fees) only to end up no where! (..well except more debt). So I've come here in hopes to find some solid advice. A lot of graduate schools don't put minimum GPAs or GRE scores so I have no idea where I rank.

So I'll start off that I attended University of Hartford for my undergraduate degree and received a B.Sc in Health Sciences and Psychology in May. My GPA is only a 3.10, but it progressively improved throughout my four years (freshman year was pretty harsh). I studied abroad for a semester my senior year and volunteered with a non profit for two years. I also worked as a nursing assistant full time from 2011 to early 2014 (one reason why my GPA is lower than I wish). My last semester of college, I interned at a non profit in Boston that raised donations and provided outreach for medical research.

After graduating, I took the GRE and my scores were 153V (59%) and 157Q (68%) and 4.0 for writing.

From graduation until a few weeks ago, I worked as a TEFL teacher at a university in China. I recently got a job working at a company in my state that provides health care and education and works hand in hand with DCF and other social services.

I have an application through SOPHAS but I've noticed a lot of those school are very difficult to get into.

I'm really hoping for the UMass program or Mt. Sinai, but again I don't think I stack up.

What do you guys think?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely not out of luck. Most schools only require above a 50% on your GRE scores and above a 3.0 for your GRE. What they are going to care most about is your experience (which you seem to have a good amount), a well written SoP, and good LoRs. Get those and you'll be competitive for quite a few programs.