Applying for Ophthalmology...with low score and husband already matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srd4g9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for Ophthalmology but this was a relatively late decision given the competiveness of the specialty. To be completely honest I am a pretty average student on paper. I've done fine to well on most rotations (except optho - honors). My boards score really weighs me down - 195 (80th percentile). I'm sure that I'm a much smarter student than that but I'm not an excellent test taker. I do feel that I'm great with people and am a good clinician.
Also, my husband graduated this past year and has matched into the anesthesia program at Case Western Metro Health. So the harder part of this is trying to match into the same area.
Now that you have all this information I have a couple questions:

Do I have a chance in matching in Ophthalmology this year? Or do I need more time to work on making a stronger CV?

Should I take Step 2 as soon as I can or should I work on doing out of town rotations in the hospitals in Cleveland that I'd really like to match into? (Applications go out so soon, I have September through November open for either rotations or taking the exam but it is hard for me to prioritize which should come first - is October too late for an out of town elective?)

What do you think of taking a day to tour the facilities and speaking with program director of other residencies that I may not have time to rotate at - beneficial or waste of time?

I'm not naive enough to think that I will come across as an ideal applicant but I am optimistic that there is still time for me to work on matching.
If anyone could help with my questions or has any advice to offer it will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking step 2 early and doing well is a must. If you rotate well and are personable, a program will want you, but the 195 will still be difficulty to overlooked.

So, the answer is D) all of the above. Take the test, and try to do an August rotation (though the spots may already be filled up).

If you don't match or choose to not enter the match, you can think about a research year with them.

Unfortunately your step 1 score will likely hinder you from getting your foot in the door (the interview) at most places. A 195 isn't 80th percentile, it's just above passing (75 is passing) - the 2 digit score isn't a percentile.

Also, the Cleveland programs are highly competitive - Cole and UH. Optimally if you just wanted to match somewhere in the US, you'd want to take step 2 early and rock it (I mean like a 40-50 point jump in your score), rotate early and knock their socks off (which is difficult to do in ophthalmology since we learn nothing about the eye in med school), and publish a paper. With all those, it'd still be an uphill battle, but anything's possible.

You'll see that there are just too many qualified applicants applying to ophthalmology...the programs can really only interview 10 people for each spot (so 3-4 spots = interview 30-40 people), and many highly qualified people are being rejected.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the poster above says, a 195 is not 80th percentile. It's more like 15th percentile or below. The most recent average Step 1 score is 221, with a SD of 21. So 200 is 1 SD below, which corresponds to 16th percentile. I think your Step 1 score is really going to make matching difficult, especially since you're limited geographically. Even if you were to apply broadly you would likely be screened out of most programs based on your score.

Have to agree with the others this is an uphill battle. That said, applying only has only a couple costs, time and money. If you are set on ophthalmology, go for it. Would absolutely agree that you need to rock Step 2. If you aren't sure you can rock Step 2, maybe you should wait, so that it doesn't hurt you if you want to apply next year. A bad Step 1 could be an aberration, a bad Step 1 and a bad Step 2 is a pattern.

I have heard of a couple people getting some research jobs at the cleveland programs. So, if you don't match, do that for a year. Get published, make connections, and most importantly work your tail off to make an impression on them. The way to do that is to bust your tail and start studying ophtho before you even think of starting your research. Go to every lecture you can that year, etc.

thanks for all the feedback. I guess at this point I'm thinking that I'll forgo the match this year and apply next year after getting research opportunities and being better prepared.

Hello Srd4g9 and Thread contributors!!

Srd4g9 - I'm wondering how things are going for you? I am in a similar position to you in terms of poor board score. I have wanted to do ophtho since 10th grade, but I just got a 195 on Step 1 this summer. I'm not a dummy either. I've had some ongoing personal medical (sleep!!) issues that have yet to be resolved (after many doctor's visits) which have severely decreased my ability to study.

I am just starting my third year of medical school and so far rotations are going well. I was thinking of spreading my clinical years out to three, which I can do at my med school. This would allow time for research, several away rotations, and lots of studying for Step 2. I am not limited geographically as my husband has a flexible job. We will go anywhere in the country if it means I can do ophtho!!

One more thing. My advisor mentioned some "pre-residency ophtho fellowship" programs at Emory or at University of Utah that may also help to improve my odds.

Any thoughts on my chances, suggestions on what I should do, etc. will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

With a 195 I wouldn't bother taking a year off for ophthalmology research unless I've done a bang up job on Step II (240+), because should you take that year off and get something 220ish or less your chances of matching are dismal and you've just blown a whole year.

Board scores aren't everything. You should at least apply if there's still time left. Do a rotation at each one of the cleveland programs, and even if there are some at a 45 min commute. work your butt off while you're there. find out when all the resident lectures are and attend everything. Be nice to EVERYONE (secretaries have alot of input) I know lots of people w/ sub par board scores (i.e. less than 200) that still matched into ophtho. the Average is 235 because there are a lot of people w/ below 235 that get in. I agree that you should work on the step 2 score, if you do well put it in your app if not don't include it.

While I agree that those with substantially lower Step 1 score theoretically COULD get in, for every person that gets in with a 195 there has to be someone with a 275 that matches (or multiple, multiple 260s, assuming a 235 average). There aren't too many people who scored 275 or above who took the step, as that is more than 2.5 standard deviations above the mean. In our school of over 200 we didn't have one person make above a 270 our year.

I'd say you have pretty difficult odds but that is not to say it cannot be done. Game plan:

1) Kill Step 2 (probably 240-250 or higher).
2) Make AOA.
3) Do as many away rotations as your time will allow and impress the hell out of your rotation site.
4) Consider taking a year (or a couple) off to do meaningful research (this means lots of publications.)
5) Do not limit yourself geographically (It's not good to limit yourself geographically no matter how great your scores and grades are!)

If you do these 5 things to show your commitment to the field and develop some good contacts along the way I think you have a chance.

Good luck!!!!

1) Kill Step 2 (probably 240-250 or higher).
2) Make AOA.
3) Do as many away rotations as your time will allow and impress the hell out of your rotation site.
4) Consider taking a year (or a couple) off to do meaningful research (this means lots of publications.)
5) Do not limit yourself geographically (It's not good to limit yourself geographically no matter how great your scores and grades are!)

1. agree
2. unlikely considering low step one.
3. agree
4. agree
5. hard to do when husband already matched to Case anesthesia.

I agree that you should apply. Do rotations in the area and explain your situation to the programs. Research year may help, especially if done at the instituation you want to match in. Improving your step 2 score is key since it tells programs you have the potential do well. Since it is already September, I hope you have already taken it. Really, there is no point applying with a 195 and not having even taken Step 2 by interview time.