Applying for Residency upon acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vixid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know every state has its own laws, but I was wondering if there is a general answer to this question. If you get accepted to a state school that is not a state in your residency, can you apply/get residency for that state within a year or so? Obviously this would drastically cut your tuition fees, and im sure im not the first to be in this position. BTW, would it help if your parents live in, place of birth, and 50+ odd relatives live in the state your trying to get residency to?

ya, i know my grammer stinks, but its late:(

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that in some states you can actually apply to become a resident after completing your first year in dental school. Some states indicate that you cannot become a resident for tuition purposes if you came to that state for education purposes. Each state is different. If you find a list of which is which, post it on sdn.

Of course, what is ideal is to be a resident at the time you apply to a state school. Most states have requirements that all/most of their accepted students be residents of that state at the time of application. The remaining slots are open to all other applicants-some schools do not save any slots for non-residents. Competition is therefore extremely fierce for the non-resident slots. (To be fair, competition is fierce even if you are a resident but the odds are very stongly against the non-resident) Some state schools also consider your connection to that university outside of residency such as where your relatives went to school and whether any of your family contributes to the alumni fund. If you make it to the secondary application, I suggest you spell your connection out as clearly as possible. Everyone wants you to get in but your sister-in-law, the chair of board of regents, thinks you'll make a great dentist.

So what it boils down to is that approx 14,000 students are applying for dental school to approx 50 dental schools in the US. Some schools have small admitted class size and some have large admitted class size. I think NYU's admitted class size is around 300 and is toward the high end. Some states do not have a state dental school. I suspect that the vast percentage of applicants are applying for the small percentage of slots at state schools open to non-residents and slots at private dental schools. I've heard that the average number of schools an applicant applies to is in the neighborhood of 9.

I think if you claim yourself on your taxes, have your car registered in that state, and also have car insurance there, it helps. I tried getting residency in FL b/c i went to undergrad there and just having an address there is not enough. Also, register to vote in that state and see if you can contact the local courthouse to fill out a form declaring that state your state of residency. It is a form that states you are releasing all ties to your previous state of residency. It helps to prove you are not only in your current state for educational purposes.

thanks for the help. Getting residency would save 80k, probably worth the effort :)