Applying Late in the Process - Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd1313

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here so hopefully it's in the right area. I'm a senior in my undergrad and was looking for some advice on the PT application cycle for 2019-2020. Barring taking the GRE, I have completed the rest of my application just recently and am set to take the GRE in a few days. The list of schools I'm applying is 6-7, but I understand that I'm applying a bit late in the process as most deadlines are either in October/beginning of November. My question is should I not expect much in terms of getting a seat at the schools I apply to because I submitted later than most? For some of the schools I applied to there are ED but only a few have rolling admissions, which obviously might affect my chances. For reference, I put my stats below if that puts things into perspective. Thanks for any help and advice!

University: University of Maryland
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: ~ 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: ~ 3.5
GRE: taking in a few days

Extra-Curric: Varsity Student Athlete for 2 years, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Undergraduate Research Assistant for Biomechanics Lab, TA for kinesiology summer class, employed at Rec Center on campus, couple leadership positions within clubs

References: 2 from PT's and 1 Professor, all had good relationships with

Observation: ~ 500 hours; 400 with Athletic Department PT, 30 in-patient at Brain & Spinal Cord Injury Ward, 50 at general pop outpatient, 30 w/ geriatrics outpatient

Applying: Columbia, UMB, UMES, Pitt, U of Florida, Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought about giving yourself a break after undergrad to work, travel, etc.? Next year you could apply early and optimize your chances even more. I mean, if you don't mind spending money on application fees this time around, go for it and see what happens.

Have you thought about giving yourself a break after undergrad to work, travel, etc.? Next year you could apply early and optimize your chances even more. I mean, if you don't mind spending money on application fees this time around, go for it and see what happens.

I definitely have, although I would prefer continuing school after my undergrad. But I could see the benefits of taking a gap year and orienting myself, but for now I don't mind spending a bit to see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are not compromised unless it is rolling admission. You should get in this year unless you GRE is less than 300 and as long as your stats are close to average for the schools you listed (I am not familiar with those school).

Your chances are not compromised unless it is rolling admission. You should get in this year unless you GRE is less than 300 and as long as your stats are close to average for the schools you listed (I am not familiar with those school).

That's what I figured, thanks for the input!

Even with rolling admissions, you still have a chance. I don't know about all the schools you applied to, but Drexel has a late deposit date (3/1/20) and spots will open up. So, you still have a chance. Plus, your observation hours, gpa, and extracurriculars look good, so it all depends on your GRE score. (Don't stress too much about your GRE score though, they mainly use it as a reference and normally don't weigh it too heavily) Good luck!

Even with rolling admissions, you still have a chance. I don't know about all the schools you applied to, but Drexel has a late deposit date (3/1/20) and spots will open up. So, you still have a chance. Plus, your observation hours, gpa, and extracurriculars look good, so it all depends on your GRE score. (Don't stress too much about your GRE score though, they mainly use it as a reference and normally don't weigh it too heavily) Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Makes me feel a bit better about the situation, hopefully some seats open up at my choices.

The school I'm applying to as a deadline of December 16th, so there are some schools accepting that late.