Applying next cycle: Please give me your honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to MD/PhD programs and these schools have PIs i would really like to work with:
STATS
Top 20 Undergrad
Major: Bio (Honors)
cGPA: 3.84 sGPA: 3.80
MCAT: 521
Ethnicity: I'm hispanic/low SES ( full ride to my undergrad)
Research:
3+ years at Medical School for my undergrad ( Med school is Top 5) ( Spent a full time summer there)
- 2 publications (2nd/3rd author)
- National/Regional Conferences (2/3 posters)
- Really strong letter of rec ( PI let me see it and he put me as a top 1% undergrad he has mentored)
1 full time summer REU ( THE AMGEN Fellowship Program) at Caltech
- 1 manuscript on the work + 1 poster as first author
- Strong letter from a really well known PI across her field
1 virtual summer REU (NSURP) -- due to covid at Ohio State
- 1 poster + good letter of rec
1 year for a research team at my undegrad (iGEM)
- 3 posters + silver medal at international conference + good letter of rec
Pre medical:
Shadowed 100+ hours, spend 6 weeks at a pre-med summer internship program at UF Medical School for URM ( SHPEP or SDEM), volunteered as a spanish translatorfor 6 months, travel abroad to volunteer in my home country

Leadership:
Founded a research group for URM at my undegrad for middle school and high school students where they presented posters and won a small conference.
President of Pre med minority association
TA a bio lab class
Tutor over 10 science courses for the university
Instructor for minorities high school students on saturdays
Research Ambassador for my undergrad
Awards:
$1000 grant from institution x5
$4000 grant from state x3
Harry S Truman Scholarship Finalist for NY state
Barry M Goldwater Nominee for my school
several research awards for my school
1st place at several conferences
AMGEN fellowship program

MD/PhD Programs: (MD works too)
UCLA/Caltech prorgam
USC/Caltech program
Cornell/Rockefeller program
Harvard/MIT program
UCSF
Hopkins
Yale
NYU
Duke
Sinai
UChicago
Stanford
U Irvine
Vanderbilt
uPenn
UMich
UPitt
UBoston
UWash
Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure why you are posting? You know your application would be strong for any program.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know I have a decent shot, I was just wondering if maybe applying to places like UCSF, Harvard, NYU were worth because of their avg GPA is around a 3.9 and I’m not as high

I know I have a decent shot, I was just wondering if maybe applying to places like UCSF, Harvard, NYU were worth because of their avg GPA is around a 3.9 and I’m not as high
You won’t know unless you try.

Reactions: 1 user
As a URM, low SES applicant, you definitely have a shot. Most schools will drool at your stats in a URM applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
As a URM, low SES applicant, you definitely have a shot. Most schools will drool at your stats in a URM applicant.
Thank you :) med school apps are so expensive wanted an opinion from here

i think you knew the answer before even asking this question lol...

Reactions: 3 users
side question, what conferences give out awards? I though any sort of competitive aspect was gone in research after high school.

Reactions: 1 users
ABRCMS, NY State regional conferences, national undergraduate research conferences...

You have stellar stats, yet you don't understand the concept of medians????

Add WashU, Harvard etc to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
I moved to America from a small country in South America 8 years ago and I’m the first gen if my family to go to college. Sorry if I’m being ignorant on all of this, I just don’t like the pre-med advisors at my school

I moved to America from a small country in South America 8 years ago and I’m the first gen if my family to go to college. Sorry if I’m being ignorant on all of this, I just don’t like the pre-med advisors at my school
You could add these schools to your application:
Brown
Einstein
Georgetown
Miami
Baylor
Northwestern
Washington University
Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest.