Applying next cycle... What is the best use of my time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailorHg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am looking for some opinions on how to get ready for the upcoming 2016-17 cycle. I'm a non-trad coming back from a low gpa (3.5 post-bacc gpa). If this year goes according to plan, here's where I'll stand in terms of stats and EC's when I apply:

MCAT: 513 (128, 128, 128, 129), 89th %ile
AACOMAS: 3.01 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
AMCAS: 2.79 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA

Volunteering: 200 hours clinical, 250 non-clinical
Shadowing: 4 hours
No research.

Should I try to improve my MCAT to compensate for my GPA? Or maybe try to get some research experience? The most I would be able to do is a semester's worth. I have a full time course schedule all year so I don't think I have time to retake the MCAT, add research, and keep volunteering.

Any opinions would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT is fine. Your problem is going to be your GPA, as it'll fall below the cutoffs for many schools, resulting in automatic screening of your application. A 528 does you zero good if no one ever sees it. Focus on your grades and volunteering. Research probably won't be a make-or-break factor in your app if you only have one semester in which to do it, so focus on those grades and non-research ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice! I'm worried about my GPA, but I'm still hoping to throw my hat in for state MD schools, in addition to applying broadly to DO schools.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott