Applying OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fabio001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just compiled my list and I have a general question regarding schools that have smaller than 30% out-of-state acceptance rates. Are only URM's generally accepted into these limited out of state spots, or does anyone who's competitive have a good chance? There's a couple on my application (Rush, U of Maryland) that have that sort of acceptance rate, and I'm just wondering if even though I'm competitive, i'm wasting my time and money applying there. I couldn't find anything on their website that would suggest those spots going to URM's, but perhaps it's an unwritten given?

Members don't see this ad.

I have just compiled my list and I have a general question regarding schools that have smaller than 30% out-of-state acceptance rates. Are only URM's generally accepted into these limited out of state spots, or does anyone who's competitive have a good chance?

It doesn't look like you have posted a lot, but I would say "yes'" to your question. But just to alert you, these URM sorts of questions can be somewhat flammable. Lots of previous threads on this.

:corny:

Last edited:
apply to PRIVATE out of state schools, not public.

simple as that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have just compiled my list and I have a general question regarding schools that have smaller than 30% out-of-state acceptance rates. Are only URM's generally accepted into these limited out of state spots, or does anyone who's competitive have a good chance? There's a couple on my application (Rush, U of Maryland) that have that sort of acceptance rate, and I'm just wondering if even though I'm competitive, i'm wasting my time and money applying there. I couldn't find anything on their website that would suggest those spots going to URM's, but perhaps it's an unwritten given?

Not sure about URM getting spots.

However, if you do plan to apply OOS to public schools, you should have connections to the state, and you should probably add a couple points to the MCAT and some to your gpa to really see if you are "qualified." You need better stats than average to get an acceptance OOS.

If it is OOS private schools, most don't have any sort of residency consideration. However, Rush seems to be weird where it is private but pretty much only accepts instate.

For any OOS school, I would have good reasons to apply there so the school knows you are serious. This is especially true with the public schools, who would want you to consider settling in that state.

This is not a generalizable (if thats a word) question. There are both types of out-of-state schools. Ones who take close to 0% from out of state (most oos schools). Some who take a small number of students who they are very high on (Cinci, Miami, most other SUNYs) . Then, there are some that take many students from out of state (Ohio State, UVA, SUNY Upstate, Vermont, Indiana). Your number 30% is unfounded, almost no school has such a high acceptance rate. I think you meant less than 30% of their acceptances are of OOS applicants. I tend to look for OOS school with about as many interview invites to OOS applicants as in-state or more obviously. Usually, there is about 3 times as many OOS applicants, so then you have that much of a lower chance but still reasonable. Another way to look at it is something like 10% or higher chance of an interview (ex. 500 out of 5000 OOS applicants invited for interview).

It depends entirely on the school. University of Colorado, for instance, is an extremely competitive school, so to get in there from OOS you just have to have really stellar grades. I'm most definitely not a URM, and I got into University of South Carolina out of state (which, if you look at the numbers, is pretty difficult, as they accept very few OOS applicants), and I managed that because I had really strong connections to the state (plus good numbers).

In general, you're probably better off not applying to schools where they only offer 25-30% of acceptances to OOS students, unless you have some really amazing scores. If you don't have ties to the state, I wouldn't bother with most of the southern or western (CA, WA) state schools.

rush definitely accepts OOS. its true that most of the class is from IL- but there are a lot of OOS students too. i dont know what the deal is at other schools, but for them it has a lot to do with fit, as far as i can tell. if you are seriously interested you should check out past application threads to see what they are looking for and whether you fit. (ie i know they like people with healthcare experience/ work experience.) but searching old theads will give you more info. or PM me if you want to know more about Rush :) (will be starting there in less than 2 weeks! yay)